The Ramblers Rest, Chislehurst - pub details

Ramblers Rest

Address: Mill Place, Chislehurst, Kent, BR7 5ND [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 5279) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Chislehurst (0.3 miles), Elmstead Woods (1 mile), Bickley (1 mile)

> Current user rating: 6.2/10 (rated by 31 users)
> Local guide: Kent pub guide

Imperial Arms, Chislehurst (0.1 miles), Bickley, Chislehurst (0.3 miles), Tigers Head, Chislehurst (0.3 miles), Crown, Chislehurst (0.5 miles), Bulls Head, Chislehurst (0.6 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Ramblers Rest, Chislehurst

Came away from the bar with a suspiciously cloudy pint which, sure enough, turned out to be off. Took it back to the barmaid saying it tasted vinegarry, only for her to say "I thought you'd say that" - so why sell it to me in the first place?! I later heard her say to (I presume) the manager, "we've got to change the barrel, that's the third person this week who's said it tastes of vinegar"...! The pint they replaced it with was also well past its best, but I was honestly too embarrassed on their behalf to take that back as well and so left it behind a menu and sneaked out. Such a beautiful old pub deserves better than this....
Tmuk99 - 18 Aug 2015 12:55
Pub has had been recently refurbished and have to say the drinking experience is better for it. The beers also appear to be better maintained than previously, I have visited a few times now and each pint has been in good condition. Long may it continue.
Dynamo1 - 27 Nov 2013 14:53
I too visited this pub on the 4 October 2012 and was shocked at the rudeness of the landlord as I believe that you should always behave in a manner that you would like to be treated yourself.

Yelling across the bar at someone was not appropriate for the situation, how could holding a bottle of water after spending the morning walking be ignorant and thoughless - is this not the 'Ramblers Rest'?

The fact of the matter was that the group had bought drinks an hour earlier and when others arrived it was a matter of less than 10minutes before all leaving to explore the sites of Chislehurst. The intention was to come back later on that day after exploring the sites of Chislehurst - however, the rudeness of the landlord put everyone off.

The Imperial Arms is absolutely fantastic, the food was great, very friendly and welcoming atmosphere and the bar staff were excellent. We all stayed for hours drinking, eating and listening to the brilliant live music. I would recommend this pub to everyone who visits Chislehurst. We also talked to some of the locals who were some of the nicest people we have met. I encourage people to visit Imperial Arms it is a wonderful spot!!!
Dee21 - 5 Nov 2012 11:53
For God sake, if you want tea, meet your friends in a cafe.

And as for bringing out your own bottle of water, that's just ignorant and thoughtless.

No wonder he wasn't worried about the repeat business.
Pat_Bateman - 5 Nov 2012 10:30
I visited this pub in the afternoon of 4 October 2012 in the expectation of using it as a meeting spot with a few friends. Firstly, I was astonished that when I asked for a cup of tea, the barmaid said that it couldn't be done - there was no facility in the kitchen to do it! Unbelievable! A few of us bought drinks and, after around 30 minutes, another friend arrived. We were going to finish up when the landlord yells at my friend for bringing her own drink (she had a bottle of water in her hand). He insisted that she buy a drink or leave....and all this from across the bar to where we were seated - the other side of the room! And in the font of a gathering of locals. Extraordinary rude act to do in a pub - I couldn't believe that such a rude landlord was so dis-interested in repeat busiess.
However in the evening we visited the other pub - the Imperial Arms - and wow, what a difference. What a welcoming, lovely and cosy pub this is.
I believe in businesses that treat their clients in a respectful and in a fair manner. This pub fails this on all accounts and I ask all readers of this review to not spend a penny at this pub. Instead turn left, go to the end of Mill Place, and spend your pennies at the Imperial Arms.
lukey - 4 Nov 2012 23:11