The Golden Heart, Shoreditch - pub details

Golden Heart

Address: 110 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LZ [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 4151) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Shoreditch (0.3 miles), Aldgate East (0.3 miles), Liverpool Street (0.4 miles)

Nearest DLR stations Tower Gateway (0.7 miles), Bank (0.8 miles)

Nearest train stations London Liverpool Street (0.3 miles), Fenchurch Street (0.7 miles), Moorgate (0.7 miles)

> Current user rating: 3.8/10 (rated by 64 users)

Ten Bells, Shoreditch (0.1 miles), Big Chill Bar, Shoreditch (0.1 miles), Vibe Bar, Shoreditch (0.1 miles), Gun, Shoreditch (0.1 miles), Duke of Wellington, Aldgate (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Golden Heart, Shoreditch

The elderly barmaid/landlady of the Golden Heart obviously needs to retire, judging by her inability to pour a pint after changing the barrel, but mainly for her lack of any decent customer service.

She looked very worn out on the day I made the mistake of visiting this pub, and she couldn't seem to cope with the queue of about two other customers. I can only assume this was the reason for her loud, verbal aggression towards me when I'd done nothing wrong and had, in fact, waited patiently for her to attempt to pour two drinks.

Don't bother with this place - the drinks are overpriced (and, from reading other reviews, frequently variably-priced too). I paid something like £8 for a pint and a half of beer - the actual price was mumbled at me and I almost didn't get my change due to the onslaught of abuse hurled at me.

This pub probably only survives due to the support of a few regulars, who perhaps feel sorry for this person or maybe find her outbursts entertaining. There are far better pubs nearby.
PintGirl - 22 Aug 2016 13:44
called in on our way to the rugby at the Olympic Park yesterday...greeted by Sandra who was very pleasant...Had a pint of Youngs and my mate had a Coke...no mention of get a "proper drink" to him...so all in all ,a nice pub which I will revisit when down that way....Reading all the previous postings it appears there may be a hidden agenda toward this pub and landlady..most of the posts are by people who have only left one comment on this website leading me to assume they are all the same person...so no way does this pub warrant a 3 out of 10...so pay a visit and decide for yourself !
itchytony - 8 Oct 2015 11:31
The only pub (so far) that I've rated zero on this site. What can they expect when they charge £2.90 for a half of bitter (but £3.80 for a pint)! Left without drinking or paying.
John_R - 12 Oct 2014 01:01
Superb reviews here. I want to go back! Couldn't pass it by, having been here many years ago. When I saw Tracey.

This time just some five a side footballers.

Super Timothy Taylor and a great jukebox.

Definately coming back.
Mappiman - 27 Jul 2014 21:01
Just to reiterate, the landlady is nuts. My girlfriend and I were only drinking halves. I was surprised they charged £5.70 for two that were only £3.70 for pints. I asked to speak to the landlady, who told me pricing was nothing to do with her (despite being the landlady) and said I should come back the next day. I said (politely) that I probably wouldn't. She shouted at me for being aggressive as she wrestled my drink out of my hand. As my girlfriend pointed out, I'm 5'7", what was I going to do, bite her ankles? At least she gave me my money back. Stay away! Every other pub in the area is a better bet and has a much better selection of beers. When I order, I asked the girl serving what interesting beers she had, she looked at me blankly and said none. Genius.
phill1 - 8 Feb 2014 12:15