The Ten Bells, Shoreditch - pub details

Ten Bells

Address: 84 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LY [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 2425) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Aldgate East (0.2 miles), Aldgate (0.3 miles), Shoreditch (0.3 miles)

Nearest DLR stations Tower Gateway (0.6 miles), Bank (0.8 miles)

Nearest train stations London Liverpool Street (0.3 miles), Fenchurch Street (0.6 miles), Moorgate (0.7 miles)

> Current user rating: 5.3/10 (rated by 76 users)
> Local guides: London pub guide, East London pub guide

Duke of Wellington, Aldgate (0.1 miles), Golden Heart, Shoreditch (0.1 miles), Gun, Shoreditch (0.1 miles), Peacock, Shoreditch (0.1 miles), Williams Wine and Ale House, Hoxton (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Ten Bells, Shoreditch

The tiled walls are wonderful and the location is very useful but the bogs are disgustingly punk and the beer (mostly Truman's) is too expensive. However, the reason I give it a low rating is because of the thicko behind the bar.

Being oafish is not an ideal qualification for a barman, but being downright rude is unforgivable. And trying to take a glass away - while I'm still holding it and there's a cm of ale at the bottom? No. Forget it.

Get rid of the would-be-trendy lout behind the bar and I might reconsider.

Torqueback - 11 Mar 2015 14:47
Always go in when in th area. This time I had been completing a jack the ripper themed geocache and needed to work out the clue. Barmaid correctly identified me as a JTR tourist but the Connoisseur of beer tgat I am. Manky stella black, not even in the ceremonial glass.

Still, I found the geocache.

Romantic fool that I am, I will be back one day.
Mappiman - 27 Jul 2014 20:49
Doh! "features on Jack the Ripper tours" - not "doors".

Again I wish this site had an edit feature.
SilkTork - 6 Jan 2013 00:53
Shabby chic combined with historic resonance, notable Victorian tiling and toilet graffiti. Two cask beers - Bombardier and Truman's Runner (made at Nethergate for two London businessmen who have bought the defunct Truman brand name). Leffe is served in standard straight half pint glasses - not sure if this is part of the pub's sloppy image or is a genuine mistake. Staff are unhappy and not well informed (our barman thought that Truman's Runner was made by the Truman brewery round the corner which closed in 1989 and is now a famous arts and event centre). Loud music. Echoing noise. Hustling, rough and unpleasant. I'd long wanted to visit the place, having driven past it many times and seeing the mass of customers spilling out on the street, and I'm pleased to have experienced it. I understand it features on Jack the Ripper doors because of dubious links to two of the victims - but there's little sense these days of the Victorian pub, despite retaining some original features. Feels, looks and sounds more like a Camden Market cafe.
SilkTork - 6 Jan 2013 00:51
it's a great boozer with good ale.
rhythmdr - 17 Oct 2011 00:57