The Alma Tavern, Wandsworth Town - pub details

[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5] [image 6]

Address: 499 Old York Rd, London, SW18 1TF [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 351) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Website: http://www.thealma.co.uk

Nearest train stations Wandsworth Town (0 miles), Clapham Junction (0.9 miles), Earlsfield (1.2 miles)

Brewery: Young's

> Current user rating: 6.3/10 (rated by 97 users)
> Local guide: London pub guide

Royal Standard, Wandsworth (0.1 miles), Grapes, Wandsworth (0.2 miles), East Hill, Wandsworth (0.2 miles), Ship Inn, Wandsworth (0.2 miles), Brewers Inn, Wandsworth (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Alma Tavern, Wandsworth Town

Pub crawl of the area - Pub 1

£15.86 for four pints of ale.
Ale on offer Youngs Ordinary & Special. Harveys Sussex & Bombadier.

Pub looks great from the outside and they have done an OK job of the interior.

Expensive but we found out this was normal for the area.

My beer was good. But something didnt feel right about the place. Maybe im getting old. Saying that I wouldnt walk out of it either.

TheHorsesMouth - 8 Oct 2013 13:31
Made my first visit today for a swift four rounds with a mate, have to say impressed. I had the Aspels cider which was great, my mate tried a couple of different beers including the Pale Ale which all very good.

It was a Sunday afternoon so the pub was constantly busy, sky sports was being shown in the corner with the sound off so it was not intrusive.

I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat but certainly the food that did get served looked good. Sure the pub is gastro but then you have to do what you have to to survive in the pub business, certainly prefer that to a pub going bust and becoming another supermarket.

Having said it's gastro they certainly welcome drinkers and I have to say I found the bar staff very good. I do agree with the comments about the beer price, I know it's London but £9.40ish for two pints in Wandsworth is taking the piss a little.

Have to say the yummy mummies in the pub were rather easy on the eye.
kevmac - 1 Sep 2013 21:20
We had a late Sunday lunch and I have to say it was one of the worst we've ever had. Portions were really small, we were given a tiny plate of vegetables to share between 5 people so we had to ask for some more. There was a minuscule piece of crackling that came with the pork (which was also a stingy portion) and the beef was served cold. The roast potatoes were stale and rubbery and the rest of the veg was over-cooked. Worst of all were the desserts, the 'passion fruit Eton Mess' was a small bowl full of cream with a tiny amount of meringue sprinkled on top (which tasted like sweetened chalk) and a teaspoonful of passion fruit. When we complained to the manager about the lack of fruit and general lack of resemblance to an Eton Mess, she just kept repeating that it was a passion fruit Eton Mess, as if this excused an appalling dessert. I don't understand how there can be any good reviews of the food in this place and I would never go back there again. The Alma is charging prices for food that you would expect to be cooked to a professional standard. Unfortunately, the chef is clearly not up to this task and we felt well and truly ripped off after having to pay for such shocking food. Rip off prices for sub-standard food, avoid this place like the plague.
Moojico - 15 May 2013 11:23
This pub is located right across the road from Wandsworth Town train station so it's very convenient for a pint and that is about it. What we have here is another pub trying to enter the Gasto-Pub market, which I do not mind as sometimes I do enjoy a nice meal in a pub. However, this one has decided to go down the overcharging and under delivering route. I know this is a pub review site rather than a restaurant review site but I just I really do despise pubs that enter this market and think they can charge ridiculous prices because of the area that they are in and expect to get away with it by delivering mediocre food. I'm afraid that it's just not on. Either lower your food prices to the level that your food is worth or actually deliver good quality food for the prices that you charge. If you can't do either go back to being a standard pub and stop trying to rip people off! This pub gets a 1 out of 10 from me rather than 0 as they did do a good pint of Young's.
SuperHiroMikey - 14 May 2013 07:55
The first time I ever went to the Alma was over two years ago now. I experienced one of the most surprising lapses in customer service I have ever had, in that when my friend and I approached the bar together, the barman asked my friend what he would like to drink, and duly served it to him. Then he took payment and wandered off without even looking at me, and I had to actually call him back over from whatever he was doing and ask if I could order a drink too! Bizarre, and sadly quite representative of the level of service each time I've visited. Staff seem find it difficult to spot customers waiting at the bar even though it's a very open, exposed bar, and every time I've ordered food there it's taken just long enough to come out that I've always been just on the point of going to ask where it was. In fairness I've never yet actually had to enquire if my food was coming, but the wait times are uncomfortable and the staff don't seem interested in what they're doing. You'd be much better off going to the Ship which is 5 minutes away and a hell of a lot more fun.
beerdrinkingtart - 1 Jan 2012 20:30