The Tudor Rose, Romsey - pub details

Tudor Rose

Address: 3 Cornmarket, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 8GB [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 24511) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Romsey (0.4 miles), Dunbridge (2.7 miles), Redbridge (5.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 5.2/10 (rated by 13 users)

Tavern, Romsey (0.1 miles), William IV, Romsey (0.1 miles), Olive Tree, Romsey (0.1 miles), Old House at Home, Romsey (0.1 miles), Abbey Hotel, Romsey (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Tudor Rose, Romsey

Came here during the Beggars Fair and found that the staff were welcoming and friendly. The beer was good and served promptly despite the numbers present - the burgers cooked on the barbecue in the courtyard were also very good. Must return to see what it's like in normal times.
Feed - 24 Jul 2013 20:37
unpleasant, dingy pub. avoid.
sjmtlewy - 23 Jul 2012 12:30
Under new management!! The old place has got a new couple at the helm (well for the last few months actually). The place is better, and beer is good. If you like cider try the 'Thatcher Original', that'll do it!! Recommended.
wolvesfan - 6 Aug 2010 18:01
This place is lovingly known to locals as the 'Chewed Up Rose', well there you have it really....I actually couldn't describe it better. However, with the right operator this place may just have potential.
wolvesfan - 29 Dec 2009 12:04
We visited several pubs the evening in question and all had their quirks and goods parts but The Tudor Rose amazed us. We bought a 1) a pint of lager (fine), you can't really go wrong with that. 2) a pint of cider, most definately the worst pint I've ever tasted. Coming from Devon and having drunk some of the roughest farmhouse scrumpies known to man, this was just disgusting. It was warm, quite literally. And it wasn't a glass straight from the washer. And it just tasted sour, like a bottle of wine that had corked, that sort of taste in your mouth. 3) a vodka and coke, not difficult really, you'd think. We realised the coke would be a syrup mix from the pump but it is still supposed to have some gas in it. It didn't, it was completely flat. When you shook the glass you couldn't get a single bubble to rise from it.

Anyway, for the first time in my memory I decided that I'd have to take the cider and vodka back to the bar and get something sorted. I was polite and the young guy behind the bar was receptive to the problems with the drinks, but then the locals at the bar started ralying round against me and I quote "That's how it's always served in this pub", like I'm supposed to just say "Oh, well, if you meant to serve them that bad then that's ok!"

Long story short, no refund, no swap, once the lager had been drunk we left. Tere's no chance of us going back there again next year. There's plenty of far better pubs in Romsey.

sydgoodin - 8 Sep 2009 11:02