The William Dampier, Yeovil - pub details

William Dampier

Address: 97 Middle St, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 1LN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 290) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Yeovil Pen Mill (1.5 miles), Yeovil Junction (1.7 miles), Thornford (3.9 miles)

Chain: Lloyds

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 5.5/10 (rated by 25 users)

Railway Hotel, Yeovil (0.3 miles), Beehive Inn, Yeovil (0.3 miles), Coopers Mill, Yeovil (0.3 miles), Manor Hotel, Yeovil (0.3 miles), Quicksilver Mail, Yeovil (0.4 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the William Dampier, Yeovil

Maybe I caught them on an off day but they had just one ale on which was pure garbage ended up changing it for lager. Typical Wetherspoons but you are really limited for ale outlets in Yeovil pity this place was only masquerading as one.
anonymous - 25 Mar 2013 14:26
See my comments of October 2010. Nothing much has changed - mind you, I tasted 9 different beers (all thirds!) and they were, without exception, in good nick. It's a great pleasure to be able to taste so many different beers that are not normally seen hereabouts. Early doors is absolutely fine!
martyngs - 20 Oct 2011 21:14
Not impressed, I agree with most of the other comments. I no longer go here even if am nearby and have my CAMRA tokens. No good trying to start a conversation with most of the other customers, unless you speak Neanderthal or Polish...
Driver67 - 23 Feb 2011 14:09
As other reviewers have noted this is a pretty ordinary Wetherspoons, but it's not bad early doors and it is very conveniently situated next to the bus station, which suits me and my bus pass absolutely fine!! When I called last week, they had just started their Beer Festival and had 5 Festival beers (which they serve in thirds of a pint if required) as well as 3 other real ales and 4 real ciders. All of those I tasted were good. The young staff could do with a bit more training - had to ask twice for a top-up and the young girl didn't seem to understand.
I don't think it would be a good place to be on Friday or Saturday at 10pm!
martyngs - 31 Oct 2010 11:50
Seems to be the fashion to criticise all Wetherspoons pubs. OK, so this isn't the best of them, but it isn't the worst by any means (Street probably wins that prize!) Beer is always well kept, and staff are pleasant. Music is awful, but then if they had Classic FM on I'd probably be the only customer! Yeovil has lost so many town centre pubs that this one fills a large gap. Not as black as it's painted by some contributors!
beerpilgrim - 17 Sep 2009 04:56