The Gardeners Arms, Lewes - pub details

Gardeners Arms
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 46 Cliffe High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2AN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 6615) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Lewes (0.4 miles), Cooksbridge (2.4 miles), Glynde (2.7 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.0/10 (rated by 135 users)

John Harvey Tavern, Lewes (0.0 miles), Dorset Arms, Lewes (0.1 miles), Volunteer, Lewes (0.2 miles), Snowdrop, Lewes (0.2 miles), Lansdown Arms, Lewes (0.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Gardeners Arms, Lewes

I had high hopes for the Gardeners Arms. But it somehow failed to live up to expectations. It's a fairly small, single room bar that had a fairly sullen barmaid on my visit. Whilst she was smiling and laughing with locals, she adopted a fairly miserable attitude with me. When asked if they offered a CAMRA discount (as stated by their website), she said she didn't think so. So I've no idea if I got one. The ale range was impressive though - Oakham Bishop's Farewell, Burning Sky Aurora, Devil's Dyke Porter, Harveys Sussex Best Bitter, Crouch Vale Amarillo & Thornbridge 6 Weeks. Cider was Gwynt y Ddraig Black Dragon. This seems a lovely little pub and it's just the kind of pub I normally love. But on this occasion, service appeared to be lacking. A good pub, but not the best in Lewes.
blue_scrumpy - 13 Jun 2016 19:33
A dedicated real ale house, a sort of early micro-pub, it is at the end of a row of shops.Cheekily near Harvey's Brewery An oldies pub,many different beers flow through not just locales,quite tight for space you have to climb over people to get to the toilet, toilet strategy helps, especially if there is a darts match.The side door helps if your claustrophobic. Probably the fourth best pub in Lewes ,very marginally behind the Elly,Brewers and Snowdrop but the standard overall is so high.8/10.
slerpy - 3 Dec 2015 21:36
After an unscheduled pit stop at The Dorset it was time to move onto our 3rd pub in Lewes and back to my list.

The Gardeners in Cliffe High Street is very small (and I mean small) but it’s an absolute gem.

There are 6 pumps offering 6 cask ales and another pump with a real cider. I went for a pint of Raw Raspberry Blast @ 4.6%. A strange taste but a thoroughly decent pint.

Small inside with the front bar barely having enough room for a couple of bar stools. The back area is larger but not that big, several round tables and chairs.
Rugby on the television in the back bar. The pub was pretty busy, the clientele are sort of friendly & we were the only punters that were not locals.

This is a good tick for me and was easily my favourite pub of the day.
lezford - 5 Jan 2015 12:27
What it lacks in width it makes up for in atmosphere, genial service and good beer. There may be bearded men with CAMRA t-shirts on passing through so beware Fosters drinkers! I opted for a Harveys (unimaginatively given its proximity to the brewery) and it was very good.

A fine hostelry to be cherished. I once spotted tattoed hooligan Jonathan Dimbleby walking his dogs outside. This was back around 2008 ish. A true story.
terenced - 1 Jul 2014 13:26
This is a proper pub serving a really good range of ales including the superb Dark Star Hophead. This establishment is faultless!
Four.one - 31 Mar 2014 16:17