The Gardeners Arms, Lewes - pub details

Gardeners Arms
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 46 Cliffe High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2AN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 6615) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Lewes (0.4 miles), Cooksbridge (2.4 miles), Glynde (2.7 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.0/10 (rated by 133 users)
> Local guide: East Sussex pub guide

John Harvey Tavern, Lewes (0.0 miles), Dorset Arms, Lewes (0.1 miles), Volunteer, Lewes (0.2 miles), Snowdrop, Lewes (0.2 miles), Lansdown Arms, Lewes (0.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Gardeners Arms, Lewes

After an unscheduled pit stop at The Dorset it was time to move onto our 3rd pub in Lewes and back to my list.

The Gardeners in Cliffe High Street is very small (and I mean small) but it’s an absolute gem.

There are 6 pumps offering 6 cask ales and another pump with a real cider. I went for a pint of Raw Raspberry Blast @ 4.6%. A strange taste but a thoroughly decent pint.

Small inside with the front bar barely having enough room for a couple of bar stools. The back area is larger but not that big, several round tables and chairs.
Rugby on the television in the back bar. The pub was pretty busy, the clientele are sort of friendly & we were the only punters that were not locals.

This is a good tick for me and was easily my favourite pub of the day.
lezford - 5 Jan 2015 12:27
What it lacks in width it makes up for in atmosphere, genial service and good beer. There may be bearded men with CAMRA t-shirts on passing through so beware Fosters drinkers! I opted for a Harveys (unimaginatively given its proximity to the brewery) and it was very good.

A fine hostelry to be cherished. I once spotted tattoed hooligan Jonathan Dimbleby walking his dogs outside. This was back around 2008 ish. A true story.
terenced - 1 Jul 2014 13:26
This is a proper pub serving a really good range of ales including the superb Dark Star Hophead. This establishment is faultless! - 31 Mar 2014 16:17
Pub 5 on our Lewes pub crawl, and another great pub for the real ale drinker I can't remember what I drank but it wasn't Harveys, and it made a nice change. The pub is very sparsely furnished, which brought back some happy memories of drinking in basic working men's pubs in the 70's. An interesting mixture of punters, some of whom were decidedly eccentric. A most enjoyable visit, and a pub I would definitely visit again if I was in Lewes.
Number11 - 11 Feb 2014 20:36
After you cross the river from ther main town of Lewes (and around 10 minutes from the station) you come to Cliffe High Street and the Gardeners Arms which is a small shop-like pub in the "alehouse" style of decor (very simple and straightforward with the emphasis on the beer). Good range of ales and we tried a couple - they change regularly. My second pint was a bit warm and was probably first one out however it tasted fine so I didn't complain. Our other beers were good and we managed a couple of beers in this cheery little boozer. They do serve Harveys but it was nice to get a different beer for a change (not that we were complaing about Harveys!!) This pub can be built into a little pub crawl in the Cliffe area of town - The John Harvey/Gardeners and a walk to the Snowdrop).
mcroyal - 11 Jan 2014 11:27