The Magnet, Stockport - pub details

Magnet
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5]

Address: Wellington Road North, Stockport, Cheshire, SK4 1HJ [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 39185) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Stockport (0.5 miles), Heaton Chapel (1.2 miles), Reddish North (1.6 miles)

> Current user rating: 5.5/10 (rated by 50 users)

Midland, Heaton Norris (0.0 miles), Pineapple, Stockport (0.1 miles), Crown Inn, Stockport (0.2 miles), George Hotel, Stockport (0.2 miles), Swan With Two Necks, Stockport (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Magnet, Stockport

Quite a nice pub. Feels a bit less characterful than some of the other pubs in stockport which other users on here recommend as definitely seeing as a priority if in Stockport. Ale selection is good with mostly paler beers but also a few dark beers, which are priced at 80 pence a pint more when I went in. The barman was quite friendly and was even trying a sample of a couple of the beers my friend and I wanted to try. I went for Tiny Rebel Stay Puft, a pretty decent beer but not one you'd have more than one pint of as it's quite sweet but it was well kept. My only other gripe is the opening times are a bit odd, they open at 4pm every day expect on Saturday and may be Friday I believe (open at 12 those days), not necessarily a problem but the other pubs like the crown and the hope open at 12 on weekdays, so you'd think the magnet would want to compete with them during these times. Either way, a pub worth a look in.
Wezzielad - 20 Jan 2018 14:10
More classic 'public' and 'lounge' style than on last visit. Plenty of ales on in good nic'.
Snarling_Mallard - 30 Aug 2015 13:18
Absolutely fantastic with passionate staff who care about the ales excellent.
T.Jones - 16 Aug 2015 11:54
Another pub on the Manchester road, but only halfway up the hill. Fairly long and thin, but with hardly any windows facing the main road. Like many Stockport pubs, on entering you are presented with a choice of “bar” and “vaults”. The vaults is done in red and white, and features wooden beams, some arches to separate little enclaves, and mixture of seating types. [ It was fairly full, so I had to settle for a high stool and a small round table ] The bar is lighter with more communal seating, though I was only there briefly.

The pub advertises it serves 14 beers, and I see no reason to doubt their claim. However, not all pumps can be seen at once. I chose Fyne Ales Lowlander, which was OK, but disappointingly didn’t have a picture of a South Notts bus on the pump clip !

8/10 – would be the best pub in town in many places, but not this one !

Martinsh - 8 Feb 2015 19:03
I've visited The Magnet several times over the last few months. I really enjoy it in there. Fantastic range of beers every time. Had quality offerings from Magic Rock, Redwillow, Buxton etc as well as slightly less common bottles of some of our favourite American breweries like Brooklyn, Anchor and Flying Dog. it's a bit more expensive than the Crown but still reasonable. I've always found the atmosphere to be good when we have visited, usually a Friday night but the most recent time was a Sunday. It gets quite busy. Some people might not like that there is no music, but I find that adds to the atmosphere - people enjoying good beer. The Crown is great, but I think The Magnet just edges it for me, because the Crown doesn't have a good selection of bottled beers.
georgefox - 30 Nov 2014 21:53