The Red Lion Hotel, Wareham - pub details

Red Lion Hotel

Address: North Street, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 4AB [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 30392) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Wareham (0.5 miles), Holton Heath (2.4 miles), Wool (5.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.7/10 (rated by 15 users)

Antelope Inn, Wareham (0.1 miles), Duke Of Wellington, Wareham (0.1 miles), Black Bear Hotel, Wareham (0.1 miles), Kings Arms, Wareham (0.1 miles), Horse and Groom, Wareham (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Red Lion Hotel, Wareham

I normally steer clear of Greedy King pubs as the choice of ales are poor and not very tasty, but I was pleasantly surprised with the not so usual GK suspects here.
Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge, Morland Original, Old Nutty Hen (a must try beer) and Old Gold from Belhaven.
I was really looking forward to the Old Gold. Doh! This has to be one of the worst beers ever produced.
It was so vinegary I thought it was off, but the bar staff told me it should taste like that. I wasn't the first to comment about it.
They were kind enough to change it for me for the Nelson - very good of them.
Good food at reasonable prices.
fugglehops - 6 Oct 2016 21:04
Large imposiing old street-corner building which is now part of the Greene King hotels chain. It has been modernised but still has something of the old charm of a bygone era about it. We sat in the spacious bar area which was comfortably furnished and quite "genteel". Friendly barmaid who offered us a selection of 6 beers which included a couple of GK products as well as as guest ales. Both our beers were in good condition (Cask Marque) and although this is not a "pub" it is the kind of place you could take the wife and inlaws to !
mcroyal - 12 Apr 2014 13:08
Hotel bar with the emphasis on food which looked pretty good, they did have a good selection of real ale on, 4 i think with a couple from smaller breweries. Tried a beer from the Dark Star brewery which was very good.

The bar area was very well decorated and it has a outside drinking area witha lot of benches and tables available.

Pleasant and efficient bar staff.
beershot - 2 Sep 2013 14:56
In spite of the claim of an "ever changing range of personally selected real ales", two of the three ales were from Greene King. Hardly surprising since this is a Greene King pub! No one who knows anything about beer would ever deliberately choose Greene King ales - I think the claim about the ales is rather misleading.

Service and atmosphere on the whole pretty good though.
Mark888 - 26 Nov 2012 03:53
My wife and I ate here with friends and found the food and service t be very good in a pleasant environment. It has only recently opened after refurbishment and the new staff have been well trained and are very polite and friendly. Recommended.
minacker - 5 Sep 2011 21:53