Richard I, Greenwich - pub details

Richard I
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 52-54 Royal Hill, Greenwich, London, SE10 8RT [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 1202) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest DLR stations Greenwich (0.3 miles), Cutty Sark (0.5 miles), Deptford Bridge (0.6 miles)

Nearest train stations Greenwich (0.2 miles), Maze Hill (0.7 miles), St Johns (0.8 miles)

Brewery: Young's

> Current user rating: 6.7/10 (rated by 123 users)
> Local guide: London pub guide

Prince Albert, Greenwich (0.0 miles), Greenwich Union, Greenwich (0.0 miles), Hill, Greenwich (0.1 miles), Morden Arms, Greenwich (0.1 miles), Rose and Crown, Greenwich (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Richard I, Greenwich

As I predicted last time I commented on the Richard I two years ago, on our fairly frequent visits to Greenwich since, we have indeed mainly been drinking in The Pelton Arms. However, a few days ago since we were over on the west side of Greenwich, we decided to pop into the Richard I for a couple of pints and a sit in their garden. The Young's "Ordinary" was better than on our previous visit (though still not as good as when Mark ran the pub) - at £4.15 a pint I should hope it was! (I hate to think how much their range of "guest ales" are). As someone mentioned previously - sadly the woman behind the bar had very little idea of how to pull a pint properly - not helped by the guy standing behind what use to be the old public bar who was more concerned with messing about with his smart phone/tablet then actually helping her out or serving customers. However, the garden is still a good place to sit for an hour. But while we were doing so, we took the time to look at the pub menu and calculated that a two course meal for the two of us plus a bottle of wine (at £21?!?!) would have set us back £66 at the very least - and that's NOT including service or the temptation to drink a second bottle. For that sort of money, I'd prefer a "proper" restaurant. As it was, the restaurant was more or less empty - for a Tuesday lunchtime during the summer holidays is that normal? The sad thing being that in theory, after the big refurbishment a number of years ago, Young's managed to achieve the correct balance between a pub and restaurant. But somethings wrong with the place - too expensive for what it actually is and where it is (out of the "tourist trap" centre of Greenwich), but mainly (I suspect) poor to non existent management. We won't be rushing back...
DaveE6 - 3 Aug 2017 13:57
Popped in here for lunch over the Easter weekend. Food was good, but the beer prices were way over the top, Young's bitter £4.15, Beavertown Neck Oil £5.50!!!!
Large Glass of Pinot £8.20. taking the piss or what.
When we arrived the bar person cleaned the table, but just wiped the food onto the floor to join the the bits already there. Liked the pub but not the prices or cleanliness.
rpf1955 - 17 Apr 2017 10:39
Probably the worst Pub we have ever been to in Greenwich, young girl behind the Bar didn't have a clue how to pull a Pint, and kept asking the Landlady ( I presume ) for some help, but she was too busy filling her face with food at the end of the Bar to help her. Quite embarrasing to be a customer in here TBH.....The place was filthy all round, and as soon as my Wife came back from the Toilets, said lets get out of here, I'm not drinking in this shithole, so we left, and I wouldn't be surprised if that poor girl is STILL trying to pull a Pint......AVOID.......
DuncanDisorderly - 30 Dec 2016 21:30
Small Young's pub on a hill near the Park. Probably suffers from the competition from the trendier Grand Union next door (literally next door, two pubs right next to each other), but does all right notwithstanding.
rainlight - 3 May 2016 09:08
We hadn't been to the Richard I for a few months and decided to pop in for a lunchtime drink. There was a decent range of cask ales on offer, but we opted for the Young's "Ordinary" which used to be exceptional - now sadly ordinary would be a generous description. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it could have been down to the time of day - 12.20pm? But what was unforgivable, was that Young's in their infinite wisdom have changed the traditional pub sign to some indescribable "creation" - perhaps their money would be better spent on improving the beer quality. As a result we just had the one before heading to The Mitre.
DaveE6 - 24 Mar 2016 10:27