Richard I, Greenwich - pub details

Richard I
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 52-54 Royal Hill, Greenwich, London, SE10 8RT [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 1202) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest DLR stations Greenwich (0.3 miles), Cutty Sark (0.5 miles), Deptford Bridge (0.6 miles)

Nearest train stations Greenwich (0.2 miles), Maze Hill (0.7 miles), St Johns (0.8 miles)

Brewery: Young's

> Current user rating: 6.8/10 (rated by 121 users)
> Local guides: London pub guide, South East London pub guide

Greenwich Union, Greenwich (0.0 miles), Prince Albert, Greenwich (0.0 miles), Hill, Greenwich (0.1 miles), Morden Arms, Greenwich (0.1 miles), Rose and Crown, Greenwich (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Richard I, Greenwich

Small Young's pub on a hill near the Park. Probably suffers from the competition from the trendier Grand Union next door (literally next door, two pubs right next to each other), but does all right notwithstanding.
rainlight - 3 May 2016 09:08
We hadn't been to the Richard I for a few months and decided to pop in for a lunchtime drink. There was a decent range of cask ales on offer, but we opted for the Young's "Ordinary" which used to be exceptional - now sadly ordinary would be a generous description. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it could have been down to the time of day - 12.20pm? But what was unforgivable, was that Young's in their infinite wisdom have changed the traditional pub sign to some indescribable "creation" - perhaps their money would be better spent on improving the beer quality. As a result we just had the one before heading to The Mitre.
DaveE6 - 24 Mar 2016 10:27
Sadly Sandra and Mark who were managing the Richard I have been moved by Young's to The Wood House on Sydenham Hill. A great shame since Sandra always gave such a fantastic welcome, and Mark made sure the beers (the "Ordinary" in particular) were always served on top form. I hope that Sandra and Mark are both happy and successful with this change - but I can't help thinking The Pelton Arms will be getting more of my custom in the future?
DaveE6 - 11 Jul 2015 08:54
We have been going to the Richard I on and off for about 25 years and despite having to travel over from East London currently try to visit the pub once or twice a month. We did have misgivings when told that Young's were extensively refurbishing the premises, that the result would be yet another ruined pub.As I think I've commented previously - we were wrong. I fail to understand why certain customers now have a problem with the place. Yes, they've effectively built a restaurant at the back which has reduced the size of the garden, but as far as I can see the bar areas are the same size as they always were. Personally I don't much like the "battleship grey" colour scheme but what do I know? What I DO know is that the quality and choice of the five (?) real ales is always excellent - you'd have to look very hard to find a better pint of "Ordinary". If you prefer keg beers they always have an imaginative range. And finally, the service is always friendly and efficient. Still, there's no pleasing some people...
DaveE6 - 3 Mar 2015 13:02
Here we go .the list of disgruntled punters grows long may it continue. Tell you what folks get yourselves down to the plume of feathers you will not regret it.Check out the reviews if you don't believe me Just swerve this once truly great pub.Bloody shame on you youngs
gpca - 2 Mar 2015 20:14