The Greenwich Union, Greenwich - pub details

Greenwich Union

Address: 56, Royal Hill, Greenwich, London, SE10 8RT [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 1203) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest DLR stations Greenwich (0.3 miles), Cutty Sark (0.5 miles), Deptford Bridge (0.6 miles)

Nearest train stations Greenwich (0.2 miles), Maze Hill (0.7 miles), St Johns (0.8 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.9/10 (rated by 136 users)

Richard I, Greenwich (0.0 miles), Prince Albert, Greenwich (0.0 miles), Hill, Greenwich (0.1 miles), Morden Arms, Greenwich (0.1 miles), Rose and Crown, Greenwich (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Greenwich Union, Greenwich

Next door to another pub but this is a bit of a 'specialty' pub. No cask ales on draft as such, but a huge range of bottled beers available from a fridge. They're all on the strong side, and although a 'menu' of beers is offered it doesn't quite match what's in the fridge. Snacks available but no meals spotted.
Trev - 1 Feb 2019 20:21
A large range of beers to try and a nice garden to sit and drink them in. Not cheap but then it is a destination pub I suppose. Had some London IPA which was pleasant in the sun.
rainlight - 3 May 2016 09:11
Interesting and tasty food ,hang on was that a brake bros van parked outside Ping ping oops there goes that microwave again
gpca - 2 Mar 2015 21:01
If you wish to pay exorbitant prices for your beer then that is entirely up to you of course. Two shillings for a pint was also way before my time .sixty pence was the price of my first pint circa 1979. And I have never had a Cornish pasti from a cellophane packet I can't stand them. Now a steak and kidney pie yes. Was the Richard the first going out of business? I was trying to make the point that with the plethora of eating establishments in greenwich did those brainless burkes at youngs have to destroy yet another truly great tradititonal pub to give us this . I don't think so . As I have said I am not adverse to Change or a bit of a refurb or even a change of direction as they did with the barley mow (now the hill restaurant) as this pub was going down fast , again great in the 80s early 90s and no I didn't rant when this happened. So please enjoy the richard the first but I'm afraid it's not for me and lots of others I have spoken too. It's a pub that has lost it's soul
gpca - 14 Jan 2015 17:14
Excellent pub, excellent beer, excellent food.

Clean, busy, but generally helpful staff with above-average product knowledge – valuable when many first-time visitors are accustomed only to the big national and international brands. And of course the range of said product is, as you would expect, first class. Although a bit slow to clear tables when under pressure – an extra pair of hands on a Friday would improve service and probably help, rather than harm, the bottom line.

Female-friendly, clean loos.

Most of the above is also true for its neighbour, the Richard I. Ignore the remarks from prejudiced and foul-mouthed commentators who are determined to live in the past, and must want to see pubs go out of business. Maybe they did not like being turned away for abusing staff when they discovered that the award-winning IPA cost more than 2 shillings a pint. Or made adverse comment on finding interesting and tasty food rather than a pasty from a packet.
riversider - 15 Dec 2014 12:45