Orange Tree, Richmond - pub details

Orange Tree

Address: 45 Kew Road, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 2NQ [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 993) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube station Richmond (0.1 miles)

Nearest train stations Richmond (0.1 miles), North Sheen (0.6 miles), St Margarets (1.1 miles)

Brewery: Young's

> Current user rating: 6.0/10 (rated by 84 users)
> Local guide: Surrey pub guide

No.1 Kew Road, Richmond (0.0 miles), Sun, Richmond (0.0 miles), Triple Crown Inn, Richmond (0.1 miles), Railway Tavern, Richmond (0.1 miles), O'Neills, Richmond (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Orange Tree, Richmond

Typical upmarket Youngs pub. Beers good , but food far too expensive for any non-local to cosider trying. (Ate in McD about 1/4mile away!!)
Aztecgoat - 24 Sep 2016 20:33
I'm surprised I've never reviewed this pub before, despite numerous visits. Although I hadn't been here for a few years. Situated very close to the station, it can get very busy. The area on the street at the front can also get crowded, especially in summer. This Saturday evening visit was fairy quiet. As it's a Youngs pub, they only had the Ordinary, Special & London Gold. Toilets appear to have moved downstairs, where there is a caged area with reserve supplies of spirits. Upstairs there now appears to be accommodation. The main room is much bigger than it initially looks with plenty of seating at the rear. A handy place for meeting friends.
blue_scrumpy - 4 Apr 2016 20:40
Beer: Youngs range in good condition
Service: competently corporate.
Atmosphere: bring your own.

Decent roadhouse boozer ***
blooms - 23 Jul 2014 23:54
Staff not overly friendly, bordering on rude on the last few times i've attended. pub and staff seem to have a sense on entitlement. numerous bette roptions if you venture further down the high st
gumbo10 - 14 Nov 2012 10:59
I feel the need to stick up for this pub as I think some of its reviewers are being pretty unfair. I've been a patron of the Orange Tree on a fairly regular basis for the past couple of months now, and the reason why I've consistently returned to it is because I've always been recognised, made to feel welcome and given excellent service. Sure, the bar staff probably mainly aren't 'professionals', but they're universally friendly, smiley, good-looking and very efficient, so what more could you want? They know their stuff, too, and really do seem to go out of their way to be helpful.

I'm mainly posting this because I am a little baffled by the comment below about the price of the food - regardless of how much the food might cost for the pub to purchase or how much it be sold for in a local Morrison's, obviously there has to be some mark-up or the business wouldn't make any money, and yes, of course you could eat in a fast-food joint or at home for cheaper, but surely that's not the point of going out for a meal?! You're paying for the experience of dining out, not simply for the food itself. That's how I've always seen it, anyway. Plus slightly higher prices keep the 'riff-raff' away - if you want cheap food, nip down to Wetherspoons for a reheated microwave meal and enjoy hanging out with their salubrious clientele. Personally I don't think the Orange Tree is expensive, especially not for south-west London, and whenever I've eaten there I've always been really happy with the food - it's a menu of simple but really tasty pub classics which doesn't overreach itself by trying to conform to the current gourmet fad. And they have the option of large or small portions for all their main courses, which I think is a really nice idea (my nan would probably approve as she can never manage normal restaurant portions). All in all, a lot of thought has clearly gone into it, surely also demonstrated by the fact that the menus are printed from a hand-written copy.

Anyway, I went on for a bit longer than I meant to there! Just thought it was worth putting in a good word for the pub because I've always really loved going there. Would definitely recommend it to anyone as the best pub in Richmond.
beerdrinkingtart - 1 Jan 2012 19:14