Royal Oak, Ambleside - pub details

Address: Church Street, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 9BU [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 33496) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train station Windermere (4.6 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.0/10 (rated by 8 users)

Queen's Hotel, Ambleside (0.0 miles), White Lion Hotel, Ambleside (0.0 miles), Sportsman Inn,, Ambleside (0.1 miles), Churchill Hotel, Ambleside (0.1 miles), Unicorn, Ambleside (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Royal Oak, Ambleside

A revisit, as we noticed they had a singer on a Sunday night. Good choice of unusual ales and I had to try thirst blood at 6%. It was superb. As was the singer.
Mappiman - 3 Nov 2014 20:34
Popped in here on a hot sunny Friday afternoon in July. The outdoor area is not that big but I just managed to get a seat outside (even if it was next to a dripping hanging basket). It is a bit of a shame (in my opinion) that the front area was covered by huge umbrellas. However it was still a warm and pleasant environment.

On entering the pub I was surprised how near the front of the building the bar was! There was a bank of four or five hand pumps, a fair selection to choose from, including a cider, and I went for the Thirst Oak (Keswick Brewery I believe) at 4.8%. A very pleasant pint, served by a friendly efficient barmaid. The pint cost £3.53 - not bargain basement but I guess to be expected in a popular tourist area.

If I'd had more time I could easily have worked my way through some of the other ales, especially as I had secured an outdoor seat, but sadly it was not to be on this occasion.

I would definitely recommend a visit. Nice pub, good location, decent pint, friendly service.
RealAleRobUK - 12 Jul 2014 13:33
1st of our ambleside tour. Black Sheep had run out. 20 mins to change a barrell, so an ok pint of bombardier. No food on an evening. An underwhelming experience to be honest.
Mappiman - 3 Feb 2012 20:42
This pub is like a tardis in reverse as it is a lot smaller on the inside. Sustantial list of hand pulls on offer, decent food at fair prices and efficient services. The only but, is that we were in on a Monday afternoon and less than a dozen people made the eating area almost cramped. The owners needs to look at the way this pub is set up. The outside area would be a feature draw in the summer months though, and perhaps that is when this place rakes in the dosh.
FARUPNORTH - 21 Nov 2011 12:35
The Royal Oak is a popular Ambleside pub, with a decent range of beers that have been well kept. The atmosphere is good, though the seating is very limited. There is free wifi and a covered outdoor smoking area. We didnít get to try the food though, as we werenít prepared to wait for forty minutes.
StephanB - 23 Sep 2011 17:23