The George and Pilgrim, Glastonbury - pub details

George and Pilgrim
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5] [image 6]

Address: 1 High Street, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9DP [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 32715) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

> Current user rating: 5.7/10 (rated by 26 users)
> Local guide: Somerset pub guide

Crown / Glastonbury Backpackers, Glastonbury (0.1 miles), King William Inn, Glastonbury (0.1 miles), Who'd A Thought It, Glastonbury (0.1 miles), Hawthorns Hotel, Bar and Restaurant, Glastonbury (0.1 miles), Mitre, Glastonbury (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the George and Pilgrim, Glastonbury

Still not very inviting, especially with that large nuisance man partly blocking the entrance in his wheelchair for hours on end. We were going in there to eat and drink, but with him there staring at us, we found his presence overwhelmingly off putting. We went in the cafe up the road instead.
Mass_debater - 8 Jun 2015 17:12
Got in early, before noon, and we had a bit of a wait while the barman finished clearing the lines and obtaining ice for the couple in front of me. However, the pint (forgot what it was) turned out to be delicious and we sat outside in the sun watching the world go by. This pub is a historical gem, not everyone may like the dark interior but I thought it was fantastic. There's a back courtyard and other rooms off the main passageway, the latter goes gently uphill. I felt the friendly barman was doing his best, as we left the tourists were crowding in so it's a good idea to get in early
Feed - 12 Apr 2015 21:48
What an imposing building. Got it's name apparently from housing the Christian pilgrims visiting the Abbey. Lots of mullioned windows, old furniture and tapestries. Several little bars off the main hallway and a great range of real ales. Was a bit spoilt for choice, Black Sheep, Otter and Tribute - all proving to be in good condition.
TheLowflyer72 - 8 Mar 2015 05:35
Being regular visitors to Glastonbury, the 3 of us thought we'd pop into the G and P for a drink. In we went, the bar was well crowded with locals, but behind the bar itself was deserted. We stood there, a little bit perplexed by the total absence of any staff whatsoever, we waited and waited, and waited. As the locals became aware of us and our situation, they started to sort of mutter gigglingly at us. After a considerable waiting period, and STILL no one came to serve anyone let alone us, we obviously left. Having been in pub management myself in my younger days, I can say with some authority that this is just about the worst way imaginable of running any pub let alone a so called hotel. The usual outcome of this ridiculous incompetence is that the more rowdy type of local will reach over and help themselves to the beer, not to mention the effect it will have on the more discerning would be customer.
whatsgoinon - 22 Feb 2015 17:53
We were booked into stay here. Online research, including here, provided some very mixed results. Should I cancel the booking and move to the Premier Inn instead?

The lure of the oldest pub in the South West, Henry VIII being a previous visitor and a ghost proved too much to resist.

The Pub - Superb - lovely little alcoves and nooks and crannies. Two real ales on - Superb Golden Sheep and Otter (Which I didnt try). Nice whisky collection as well.

The Hotel - The rooms were fine - ascend a spiral staircase and you are in one of those elderly hotels of all creaking floors, sash windows and a hodgepodge of furniture. I would say it was expensive (£109) for what it was and the breakfast was a single sausage disappointment.
Mappiman - 16 Feb 2015 16:16