The Royal Oak, Borough - pub details

Royal Oak
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5]

Address: 44 Tabard Street, Borough, London, SE1 4JU [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 2814) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Borough (0.1 miles), London Bridge (0.4 miles), Elephant and Castle (0.6 miles)

Nearest train stations London Bridge (0.4 miles), Elephant & Castle (0.6 miles), Cannon Street (0.8 miles)

Brewery: Harveys

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 7.3/10 (rated by 444 users)
> Local guide: London pub guide
> Post a comment > Mail a friend > Pub Of The Year

Dover Castle, Borough (0.1 miles), Trinity, Borough (0.1 miles), Gladstone Arms, Borough (0.1 miles), Whitesmith Arms, Borough (0.1 miles), Belushi's, Borough (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Royal Oak, Borough

Pains me to say it but this pub feels old and tired. The beer is always great but on too many occasions I've come across 'characters' I'd much rather avoid. The charm has gone replaced by an aggressive edge that matches the Royal Oak's dilapidated decor. Harveys, look to your laurels, deal with it.
MathewT - 11 Nov 2016 17:11
Lovely unspoiled Victorian pub that you need to go out of way to find.

Decent beers from Harvey's but go for the experience.

Some photos at my blog - http://bit.ly/2cYVT2P
Mappiman - 18 Sep 2016 12:11
Visited last month.How nice to walk into a pub order a pint of mild and be asked if you want light or dark.Apart from a few Tim Taylor's and Hydes houses this doesnot happen nowadays.I stuck to the superb light mild as it is a seasonal.On the food front ham,eggs and chips filled the plate.Good home cured thick cut ham not processed slices.Still has 2 bar and offsales layout plus a shelf of books for sale,proceeds for the british Legion.A real gem.

oldandmild - 1 Jul 2016 06:39
Once upon a time, say maybe 10 years ago or so, I'd have said this was my favourite pub in London with the possible exception of the Harp.

But I agree with the recent reviews; whilst the beer quality is still very good, it's perhaps not quite what it was. But the main issue is the service; I agree it is average, verging on below average now.

Has rested on it's laurels for too long now; still a good pub, but in my view the Lord Clyde and possibly also the Gladstone have overtaken it now in this area.
mike_s - 23 Jul 2015 13:08
As an iconic CAMRA pub it still defeats me how every time I come here (as little as possible now in view of my experiences) I get my real ale served in a hot glass. Yesterday evening I politely remarked upon this to the response that we are very busy! In my local pub which has 21 hand-pumps and can take over £30,000 in wet sales on a single night and is one of the three busiest pubs in London, if not the country, I never get my ale served in a hot glass. Why, oh why are staff not trained in this much smaller pub about hot glasses despite my past communications with Harveys Brewery on this topic?
craftman - 29 May 2014 18:29