The Royal Oak, Borough - pub details

Royal Oak
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5]

Address: 44 Tabard Street, Borough, London, SE1 4JU [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 2814) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Borough (0.1 miles), London Bridge (0.4 miles), Elephant and Castle (0.6 miles)

Nearest train stations London Bridge (0.4 miles), Elephant & Castle (0.6 miles), Cannon Street (0.8 miles)

Brewery: Harveys

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 7.2/10 (rated by 442 users)
> Local guides: London pub guide, South East London pub guide
> Post a comment > Mail a friend > Pub Of The Year

Dover Castle, Borough (0.1 miles), Trinity, Borough (0.1 miles), Gladstone Arms, Borough (0.1 miles), Whitesmith Arms, Borough (0.1 miles), Belushi's, Borough (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Royal Oak, Borough

Once upon a time, say maybe 10 years ago or so, I'd have said this was my favourite pub in London with the possible exception of the Harp.

But I agree with the recent reviews; whilst the beer quality is still very good, it's perhaps not quite what it was. But the main issue is the service; I agree it is average, verging on below average now.

Has rested on it's laurels for too long now; still a good pub, but in my view the Lord Clyde and possibly also the Gladstone have overtaken it now in this area.
mike_s - 23 Jul 2015 13:08
As an iconic CAMRA pub it still defeats me how every time I come here (as little as possible now in view of my experiences) I get my real ale served in a hot glass. Yesterday evening I politely remarked upon this to the response that we are very busy! In my local pub which has 21 hand-pumps and can take over £30,000 in wet sales on a single night and is one of the three busiest pubs in London, if not the country, I never get my ale served in a hot glass. Why, oh why are staff not trained in this much smaller pub about hot glasses despite my past communications with Harveys Brewery on this topic?
craftman - 29 May 2014 18:29
Used to love this place. Now it has become an overpriced hole. Why can I get Harvey's beers up the road in other pubs as a guest beer at a cheaper price than in here in a pub owned by them???
littledrummerboy - 7 May 2014 18:40
Was there last weekend. Service poor; two barstaff more interested in chatting to each other than serving. Beer flat, tasteless (?stale) and overpriced.
Disappointing. Perhaps it's better on a weekday?
eastkent - 2 May 2014 22:19
A visit to the RO after the Simon the Tanner. A pub much more to my liking, as it has a more traditional feel, the standard range of Harvey’s Ales, Best, Pale, Armada and Old. We had the best and the pale, and saw them poured out of the respective taps but they looked and tasted identical! Nothing wrong with them mind, but the pale definitely wasn’t pale. The one thing that militates against a speedy return here was the attitude of the bloke serving, he exemplified everything wrong with service industries in the UK, he was clearly above all this serving malarkey; sauntered about behind the bar studiously ignoring waiting customers and prioritising looking at his phone. When he did serve my mate it was clearly something we should have been grateful for, he made no eye contact, didn’t say thanks or anything just told us the price. If you are too good to be serving in a pub get a job somewhere else. I would say the women serving were fine. Beer 6/10; service from this guy 1/10
Monkdawallydahonk - 21 Mar 2014 13:39