Bear Inn, Berkswell - pub details

Address: Spencer Lane, Berkswell, Coventry, West Midlands, CV7 7BB [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 12944) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Berkswell (0.8 miles), Tile Hill (2.1 miles), Canley (4.1 miles)

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 4.5/10 (rated by 20 users)
> Local guide: West Midlands pub guide

Railway Inn, Coventry (0.7 miles), George in the Tree, Balsall Common (0.9 miles), Brickmakers Arms, Berkswell (1.0 miles), White Horse, Balsall Common (1.4 miles), Penny Farthing, Coventry (1.7 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Bear Inn, Berkswell

The first of 2 Chef & Brewer establishments we visited on Saturday. This was one was slightly better than the Drum & Monkey in Bentely Heath. As stated previously, the building itself and its environs are very nice. This is very much a family-type restaurant with a small area set aside for drinking. Real ales available were Courage Best, Caledonian Over the Bar, Everards Tiger & Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted.
blue_scrumpy - 13 Mar 2011 19:19
Like the previous reviewer, I don't find the negative reviews typical of my many visits to The Bear. As an almost local (actually Meriden, the next village) I visit here for a meal maybe every few weeks or so and, yes, it's not fantastic but it's usually pretty good and always great value for money - typical Chef & Brewer fare, really. I've only had to complain about my meal once in about twenty plus visits and the offending meal was replaced without question. The biggest problem is the shortage of serving staff, they're hard-working and friendly but can be difficult to get hold of for extra drinks or to even to get the bill. It's a great old building in a lovely rural location with lots of interesting nooks and crannys and does a good pint of London Pride. More for eating in than drinking in though. 7/10
TazzyBoy - 19 May 2010 12:54
Well, I booked a table at this pub for a meal for 6 before I checked this website but saw the reviews an hour before the actual visit. I was sorely tempted to cancel but decided it was too late and went ahead with it.
All I can say is my experience was the exact opposite to what I read here. The service was quick, friendly and polite, the food was lovely, the real ale beautiful, the surroundings pleasant and the atmosphere convivial. Either this establishment had problems but has sorted them out or some reviewers had an axe to grind.
We booked for early evening on a Friday (7.00pm) so whether it gets more hectic later I can't say but it was pretty busy when we left at 9.00, I can't believe it can be so bad with that amount of business being transacted. I can't praise it high enough.
colby - 14 May 2010 22:35
I echo everything the last reviewer has written. It has been a favourite of ours for many years but the last few visits have been awful. We were there a week ago and it wasn't clean, the service was poor and a few of us had bad bellies afterwards! Not good.
They brought us the wrong meals and looked annoyed when we said so saying "But its written down"
then they realised they were the wrong meals and took them away after about 15 minutes. Everytime they realised they had made another mistake they looked totally put out, despite the fact they were lucky we weren't making a fuss about it. The only reason we didn't make a fuss was because it was my husbands birthday and we didn't want to spoil it. However, he certainly didn't get a nice meal out for his birthday and we won't ever be going back unless we hear its been done out and got new management.
We were there for almost 3 hours! Not good when you have 3 children with you!
Despite the fact that they were aware of our long wait for food, being given wrong orders, cold food returned, etc. they didn't even offer one free drink. Our bill was over 100.
Well one thing is for sure, they won't be getting anymore money out of us.
terri72 - 8 Aug 2009 22:30
Wonderful setting in a lovely little village, shame about the bear at Berkwell, the place is looking tired in need of a refurbishment, the service is poor, the waiting staff are abrupt and is generally badly managed. They ran out of bacardi, ran out of bulmers cider, I ask you what kind of pub runs out of popular alcoholic beverages on a Saturday, a badly managed one.
The food was ok ish, shame about the waiting staff who present the cutlery on the table holding the knives and forks on the end leaving finger prints on them! they need to attend a course in hygeine, the tables are sticky and need of a new layer of varnish and a good clean. Why is this place so popular, I really don't know, all I can suggest is don't bother going hear unless you hear that it has been refurbished and has had a change of management. A truly awful experience and a disappointing evening. I am from Berkswell, this pub was a true gem at one time, shame it has got to this state.
adrianjmorris - 2 Aug 2009 10:23