The Philharmonic, Liverpool - pub details

Philharmonic
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5]

Address: 36 Hope St, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 9BX [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 6273) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Liverpool Central (0.4 miles), Lime Street Liverpool (0.5 miles), Moorfields (0.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.8/10 (rated by 101 users)

Kiss the Red, Liverpool (0.0 miles), Flute and Firkin, Liverpool (0.0 miles), Fly in the Loaf, Liverpool (0.0 miles), Font, Liverpool (0.0 miles), Pen Factory, Liverpool (0.0 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Philharmonic, Liverpool

If you go to Liverpool you must go for the decor (and toilets...) but go once, for one drink only.

Lunchtime last Saturday chokka busy, all tourists, apart from a couple of the staff not a Scouser in the pub.

No surprise at all. Understaffed at the bar, mediocre bar staff, half the beers were off and indifferent quality beer when we eventually found a couple (the ubiquitious Doom Bar and Oakham Citra) still on.

Tourist trap; very complacent indeed, probably even more so since the Paul Mc Cartney Carshare gig got it so much publicity. I would say wasted opportunity but I'm sure it rakes in money for Nicholsons even though it's a 5/10 pub (even allowing for the great decor).
mike_s - 9 Aug 2018 15:50
Lunchtime visit with the Mrs. Very quiet but gave us a chance to look at the building and visit the gents, (with permission!!!). A must see in Liverpool.
captaineric - 15 Jul 2018 16:38
Had an okay dark brew here another one of those Formby ones) but noticed the corner bar seems to be a bit frayed round the edges. Get the feel it kind of rests on it's laurels sometimes (especially the 'restaurant' upstairs).
Snarling_Mallard - 26 May 2018 15:44
Seems like my experience here has been similar to most of the other reviewers (well parts of theirs are applicable to mine). I have been in here a couple of times but haven't bothered seeing as most people have talked about the main things about the place, e.g. the very nice decor in the bar and toilets. The beer selection has always been pretty decent when I have been in. It's pretty pricey and I have never had a problem with getting served but the beer in this pub seems to be kept at a very warm temperature. I had a pint of 'Musselburgh broke' by Knops and I found it to be warm. Worth a visit to see the interior of the place but I wouldn't recommend hanging around for too long as there isn't much to the place on the actual drinking front.
Wezzielad - 18 Feb 2017 13:34
Visited last September on a Saturday evening. It was very busy. A bit of a delay getting served at the bar and has been previously commented, feels a bit "dog eat dog" trying to get served. If I remember rightly the various real ale pumps are spread across the horseshoe shaped bar, which makes it a bit difficult to see what is on offer when the bar is crowded. I seem to remember a reasonable selection though, and may have included some Robinsons ales unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Great historic interior and well worth a visit just to marvel at that. The gents are interesting too, if a little fragrant.

Would happily return. You probably stand better chance of admiring and exploring the interior during quieter times. We only managed to get a seat because someone else was leaving.
RealAleRobUK - 27 Jan 2017 14:56