The Swan, Ash Vale - pub details

Address: 2 Hutton Road, Ash Vale, Aldershot, Hampshire, GU12 5ET [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 1600) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Ash Vale (0.5 miles), North Camp (0.9 miles), Ash (1.2 miles)

by Techno

> Current user rating: 4.8/10 (rated by 57 users)
> Local guide: Hampshire pub guide

Napiers, Ash Vale (0.4 miles), Standard of England, Ash (0.6 miles), Old Ford, North Camp (0.9 miles), Lion Brewery, Ash (1.1 miles), Berlon, Farnborough (1.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Swan, Ash Vale

I visited this pub for a meal and a pint, the beer (6X) was nice and my friends enjoyed their Bombadier however, it was quite expensive when compared with some of the other local pubs in this area. The staff were very attentive and accommodating, the service was quick even though the pub was packed to the hilt with people eating meals and there was a large group having a leaving drink. My burger was OK, not quite what I expected for the 9.50 that it cost and my friend scampi was rather a mean potion for what it cost.
george3 - 26 May 2011 18:15
Now taken over by Chef & Brewer. The beer choice is dull and predictable (Doom Bar, London Pride etc. - no more TEA), the previously querky interior has had a bland corporate makeover in a horrble shade of grey/green and all the prints and ornaments removed. More serious thouh is that the number of staff seems to have been cut down. As a result, what used to be the best service in the area is now very slow. On our last visit, we walked out after 5 minutes without having been served and there were people who had been waiting longer than we had. Definitely not what it was under the prevous owner and it will take a lot of work to get back there. My firm used to take clients there for lunch. Not anymore.
Dan137 - 2 Apr 2011 19:47
This is an ok pub but I am always disappointed when I visit - perhaps because it is hyped up so much by others. Yes, it has 6 handpumps for real ales but these invariably serve bitter, so no choice of beer styles! I have also often found my first choice is not available, but the pump clip is not turned nor is there any other indication the beer is not available.
Food is over-priced for what you get. This is something people rave about but I've had meals which look like they could come from any chain pub, where you could buy the same thing for half the price!
The pub is often very busy. I have generally found staff at the bar cope well with taking orders as quickly as possible, but sometimes there is a delay in receiving the food.
pinga - 30 Dec 2010 18:04
I have used the Swan for over twelve years now (although its not what you call a local) and have always found the landlord and landlady nice people. The established staff are always helpful although some of the newer 'teenage' staff do suffer with attitude but we were all young once! The beer is always good with several guest ales. The other day I had a pint of ale from the Hop Back brewery (Salisbury) which was excellent along with with a pint of their mainstay Courage Directors which was good. They are very close to the Hogs Back brewery and often have T.E.A on tap too.
I have not written about the Swan for over two years and just wanted to update people who have not been here for a while.
The pub is still not child friendly but I understand why children are not allowed after 6. As a father to three children the last thing you want when you go out is children running around your feet when you are trying to have a nice meal with the other half! However this brings me to the main part of this review.
The Swan has had a makeover. I have thought long and hard about it and I have to say that one of the enjoyable things about the previous Swan was that it was dark and nothing really matched. Different tables, chairs with beautiful Gothic candalsticks on the wall with wax running down them etc. It had character. Now it has been decorated with lighter coloured walls and the standard pub restaurant tables and chairs. To give you some idea of what I mean, when you now visit you expect a new door that leads to the new Premier Inn located out the back! I appreciate that we have to move with the times but after speaking to many people that visit the Swan, young and old the view is the same. Its now just a normal old 'chain' pub that you can find anywhere. Think Beefeater. They might as well allow children in now as it is no longer romantic. Shame.
This pub is mainly about the food and since I last wrote little has changed. The food is very nice until it gets busy and then they just can not cope. The teenage staff can not deal with constructive criticism and the prices just go up every year so much so that they are now comparable to 'London'prices. The makeover now includes a rather bizarre section outside for smokers with mirrors and pictures its almost as though someone from one of these many makeover shows has had a go at the Swan. In fairness I don't smoke but I guess it makes the poor wet and cold smokers feel as thought they are still part of the pub as they huddle together outside!
All in all a nice enough pub if you visit for the first time. Nice ales but nowhere to stand and drink them. Food good sometimes but poor on others (fish often overcooked).
The decor? I will leave that up to you!!
nickyboi45 - 6 Dec 2010 09:56
I was sent here from the Greyhound because the Greyhound inexplicably had no food at a Wednesday lunchtime and didn't explain why not. Despite a completely full car park, there were plenty of empty tables inside (where were all the car owners?) and I enjoyed a good value meal with a nice pint of Broadside. Attentive and friendly staff, one of which was especially cute!
Trev - 22 Sep 2010 18:51