The Cavern, Raynes Park - pub details

Address: 100-102 Coombe Lane, Raynes Park, London, SW20 0AY [map] [gmap]

Nearest train stations Raynes Park (0.2 miles), Wimbledon Chase (0.9 miles), New Malden (1.1 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.2/10 (rated by 48 users)
> Local guide: London pub guide

Raynes Park Tavern, Raynes Park (0.1 miles), Edward Rayne, Raynes Park (0.2 miles), Junction Tavern, Raynes Park (0.4 miles), Hand In Hand, Wimbledon Common (0.8 miles), Crooked Billet, Wimbledon Common (0.8 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Cavern, Raynes Park

Went to this pub last night expecting a chilled out gig in a music-friendly venue, one that I've previously enjoyed. First up, I was charged 80p for a pint of soda water (fair enough, some pubs charge, some don't, I don't mind either way) but had to point out to the barman that he'd delivered me a half pint. "I suppose you can have a pint if you want," he said reluctantly, and replaced it (no additional charge!), but the rude shock was still to come. My friend and I were chatting, waiting for the band to come on, when the publican swung by and informed her that she had to buy a drink to stay and watch the band. She said friendily that she was going to do that when the band started, as we were still busy chatting, and we took it as a bit of light banter. He came back a little later, peered over her shoulder to see she still wasn't holding a drink, and then informed her loudly that she had to buy a drink to watch the band. "Where does it say that?" she asked reasonably, and he went and swung open the pub door. We were expecting him to point out a sign we'd both missed, but instead he began shouting, "Get out! Leave!" As she went out onto the pavement he abused her and used language completely inappropriate for ANY situation. She was understandably shaken and upset, so we adjourned to another pub further down the road which was far more welcoming, comfortable AND cheaper. We missed out on the evening's entertainment, but I had no intention of remaining in a pub where patrons are abused and ejected for no good reason whatsoever. AVOID.
Rockerchick - 9 Jul 2015 09:14
Visited last night, Doom bar on and kept well, live music which was soft rock,friendly and efficient bar staff. Locals all friendly and enjoyed evening.
dariogirl - 24 Jan 2015 18:31
I strongly agree with the previous user's comments about this pub. On a recent visit with my family we were practically verbally assaulted by the landlord after engaging in what we considered to be light banter. I was absolutely shocked by his demeanour and we left without finishing our drinks, promising never to return. If you are in the area I recommend you try any of the other drinking establishments within walking distance or buy a can of special brew, sit naked on a pile of nettles and down the can in one - I guarantee that would be a more comfortable drinking experience than the one I had to endure.
Canelafina - 5 Aug 2014 18:46
I would strongly recommend that you give seruious consideration to whether you really want to visit this pub. On a recent visit the bar man was fine, amusing and helpful but when the guvenor arrived the whole atmosphere changed. He was brusque to the point of rudeness, and seemed to have a massive sense of humour failure. I would recommend either of the other two pubs in Raynes park miles ahead of this one.
raynesparkdave - 22 Apr 2014 12:05
Visited this pub last night, they had London Pride and Doom Bar both well kept. This is a music pub and they had a live band on, JP and the Crossroads, a blues band and very entertaining too, If you are in the area and enjoy an evening of live music give it a go.
Scotsaledrinker - 23 Jun 2013 16:04