The Swimmer at The Grafton Arms, Holloway - pub details

Swimmer at The Grafton Arms
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 12, Eburne Rd, London, N7 6AR [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 1325) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Holloway Road (0.6 miles), Arsenal (0.6 miles), Finsbury Park (0.7 miles)

Nearest train stations Upper Holloway (0.5 miles), Finsbury Park (0.7 miles), Drayton Park (0.8 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.6/10 (rated by 56 users)
> Local guides: London pub guide, North London pub guide

Hercules Tavern, Holloway (0.1 miles), Enkel Arms, Holloway (0.1 miles), Big Red, Holloway (0.1 miles), Halfway House, Islington (0.1 miles), Eaglet, Finsbury Park (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Swimmer at The Grafton Arms, Holloway

Gastro-central full of your typical pretentious Guardian reading Islingtoner. I will say that the food here looks top quality and they actually have an interesting beer selection(the excellent rothaus tannenzäpfle is on tap for example).

I remember the Grafton from the 80s when it was a fantastic, traditional boozer full of characters from all walks of life. These days anyone who doesnt look like they could be elected as a Green Party M.P will be treated with, at best, passive aggressive suspicion.

QueensParker - 6 Oct 2013 03:20
I really did like this pub until the Landlord refused to serve an old friend of mine. We presume this was based on mistaken identity as this friend had not been there for a year and the alleged offence(???) apparently took place six months ago. The landlord would not listen to me or another friend, and we were obliged to leave two fresh drinks (ten quids worth!!). If this rude landlord apologises or, better still, buggers off, I would once again recommend the place.
Kropotkin - 6 May 2013 13:53
The Swimmer is a pub that you may discover by chance or have visited through word of mouth.You will NOT be disappointed. It is located just off Seven Sisters road and isn't your typical Holloway battle cruiser. It serves an eclectic mix of drinks. I recommend taking a closer look at the variety of bottles kept in the fridges if you enjoy strong beers from Belgium.

The bar staff are always welcoming and helpful. The food is great. The juke box has some classic albums, as well as a funk and soul, 50's rock N roll, and some lesser known artists to wind down to after a busy day or in James Brown's case get on up to. Worth a try.
Bittersweet79 - 26 Apr 2013 11:27
Top Top boozer.

Exaggeration from previous commentator who said beer went up twice as much as it in fact did. This irritates me when people can't get the facts right.

As I have finally got my break in the craft beer industry, I am now so proud of businesses such as these that keep historic buildings like this open and the hand pumps still a-pumpin'! Energy costs, transport costs mean that my small business struggles hold down prices or discount as much as we'd like to our best customers, and I'd give my eye teeth to sell our brews here. I'd struggle to get the RRP below what is here anyway!

I'm just glad this place is here with a fun mixed crowd, great staff and not sold off for flats or a costa coffee. Ten pence on my pint is something I wish didn't happen, but I can well see why it ends up there unfortunately.

Save our quality boozers, don't give em gripe for keeping the doors to the beautiful buildings open!
WilliamWard1976 - 17 Apr 2013 19:36
"A planned 3p rise in beer duty has been scrapped and replaced by a 1p cut in the price of a pint.

The chancellor said the alcohol duty escalator - which adds inflation plus 2% to the price - would be abolished for beer completely." (Source: BBC)

Unfortunately, the response from the owners of The Swimmer was to increase the price of a pint here by about 20p. The draft ale (London Pride, plus guest Butcombe at a premium) is not great, and with some of the (albeit good) lagers now pushing £5.00 a pint, this pub has now become the preserve of only the wealthy.
Disley - 13 Apr 2013 21:42