The Old Wellington Inn, Manchester - pub details

Old Wellington Inn

Address: 4 Cathedral Gates, Manchester, M3 1SW [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 1206) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Manchester Victoria (0.2 miles), Salford Central (0.5 miles), Deansgate (0.8 miles)

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 5.7/10 (rated by 42 users)

Mitre Hotel, Manchester (0.0 miles), Sinclairs Oyster Bar, Manchester (0.0 miles), Crown and Anchor, Manchester (0.0 miles), Zinc, Manchester (0.1 miles), No. 1 Watson Street, Manchester (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Old Wellington Inn, Manchester

I've looked at this attractive pub on umpteen visits to Manchester but never been in as it always seemed rammed. But after several empty pubs in Salford I yearned for a bit of a crowd & so dived in. To my surprise, indoors was near empty, though the garden was overflowing in bleak weather. A pint of Doom Bar was 3.60, an understandable price in a tourist trap, and service was friendly enough.
Queenslander - 14 Sep 2015 22:45
Enjoyed a meal and a couple of pints of Guinness en route to the MEN arena. Very busy but despite this,the service was friendly and efficient and the beer was very good if a little expensive.
TREFONEN - 15 Nov 2013 19:26
I have nothing positive to say about this place as I never got in. My wife, young son and I were in Manchester for the Christmas markets today when the heavens opened so we made a dash for this pub. The bar was very crowded and there was no way we were all going to get in with a pushchair so we decided to shelter from the hailstones and rain for a few minutes under the large umbrellas outside. Within a few seconds of finding a spot alongside many others, a jobsworth 'bouncer' (this was around 1pm) told us we'd have to move as no kids were allowed in. We were outside, not taking up much room, and it was pouring with rain but he refused to listen to common sense and made us leave. So much for Christmas spirit. My son, who is 18 months old, spent the afternoon shivering and soaking wet thanks to the 'policy' that this pub have adopted. I'll be advising everyone I know not to go there.
SandbachHatter - 7 Dec 2011 19:51
I was in the middle of drinking a decent pint in a wonderful building when the landlord came in and rudely asked a room full of people to leave - "What are you doing in here? You need to leave". Apparently the upstairs room we were in had closed for the night, even though the downstairs room was full and standing! But there was nothing to tell us this or stop us going upstairs. A large number of very offended and unhappy people ended up taking their business elsewhere...
jarofporter - 11 Oct 2011 14:40
Fantastic pub - oldest building in Manc, moved twice, bombed by the IRA and still standing. Great location and when the sun is out (!), a great place to sit and watch the world go by. Came today for the first time in 10 years and was disappointed to be served an OK pint of Lancaster Bomber in a plastic glass! Staggering, really - no warning, no alternative offered - I may not necessarily been going outside either.
Mappiman - 22 Jun 2011 21:48