The Gardeners Arms, Loughton - pub details

Gardeners Arms

Address: 103, York Hill, Loughton, Essex, IG10 1RX [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 12044) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Chingford (2.8 miles), Brimsdown (4.2 miles), Enfield Lock (4.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.2/10 (rated by 13 users)

Plume Of Feathers, Loughton (0.2 miles), Foresters Arms, Loughton (0.4 miles), Royal Oak, Loughton (0.6 miles), Carpenters Arms, Loughton (0.6 miles), Victoria Tavern, Loughton (0.6 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Gardeners Arms, Loughton

Visited again last Saturday about 5pm. Pub seemed to be full of baby buggies and wailing kids. Several people waiting to be served and no sign of any bar staff. Some tables were full of dirty glasses. Gave up waiting but went back about 6.30. Most of the babies had gone but there were four dogs wandering around instead, a couple of which were nearly as noisy as the babies !. There was one barmaid, a young lady who was both charming and efficient, but unable to cope with the workload.
Adnams was undrinkable so went on to Fosters as a safe alternative: noticed that they still charge more for two halves than one pint, and their wine prices are exorbitant.
It's still an attractive pub in a nice location but starting to look scruffy and in need of some TLC. And a staff review !
Jimdee - 11 Dec 2012 12:28
We found this pub in 2010 when we moved to Loughton and we thought it was a jewel. I'm not sure whether there's new management or what happened, but in July 2012 we took our entire family there for lunch and were disappointed. We tried again twice, but today after taking my friend there for lunch, I have to say I won't go back. The portions have halved (I'm still hungry after having Oxtail, Mashed potato and vegetables £10.95) and my boy had a children's sausage and chips charged at a cool £6.50. (This is literally a single tiny sausage with a handful of chips.) Now, this would all still be fine if the mashed potato hadn't tasted like washing up liquid. It is such a shame. I've recommended this pub to so many of my friends and now I feel really bad that I did.
Pisces - 16 Nov 2012 14:52
What a little gem. Almost stumbled upon this pub in the winding and hilly lanes of where Loughton becomes the Epping Forest. If you didn't know you might be in Cornwall or Devon. Lovely old-fashioned look and feel to the building - classic Essex weatherboarding - and a warm and cosy atmosphere inside - all nooks and crannies and dark wood. Actually it was full to bursting, such is it's obvious popularity. Sunday lunch was excellent - good quality food and generous servings. Beer was Adnams and was first class. On a summer's evening the views across London must be magnificent. the only drawback I could see about this place was posssibly the lack of parking. But highly recommended and will definitely be back.
Stallywag - 20 Feb 2012 12:47
Great pub but I still can't fathom out why it isn't open until 7pm on Sundays. I would have visited at least a dozen times more this year if it could be open when people most want it to be.
tubthumper66 - 13 Nov 2011 18:25
It's a pleasant, homely olde worlde place, with a blazing fire in winter.
Quite friendly staff, but some of them seem determined not to serve customers too quickly, perhaps they think you'll appreciate the drink more if you have to wait.
I go there quite often, and agree with other reviewers thet the beer is generally poor quality and quite expensive (and they charge more for two halves than one pint) Better to stick to Lager.
Food is OK, just the standard pub menu you see everywhere, but you can get far better, and cheaper, elsewhere.

Jimdee - 23 Aug 2010 18:27