The Village Gate, Wendover - pub details

Previously called: The Marquis of Granby

Address: 225 Aylesbury Road, Wendover, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP22 6BA [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 8365) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Wendover (0.7 miles), Stoke Mandeville (1.8 miles), Little Kimble (3.3 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.1/10 (rated by 21 users)

George and Dragon, Wendover (0.8 miles), White Swan, Wendover (0.8 miles), Red Lion Hotel, Wendover (0.8 miles), Shoulder of Mutton, Wendover (0.8 miles), Rose and Crown, Wendover (0.9 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Village Gate, Wendover

over priced and very poor, must agree with indiekids comments, trying hard to be somthing it is not!!!!
pgjp - 14 Aug 2013 10:44

Have given this pub the benefit of the doubt again and again but it still comes up short. Been for 4 meals here now and, to be honest, I won't give it anymore chances. Dreadful service from disinterested teenage lad the last. He spent ages chatting with his mates and ignoring customers. Brought our food out with no cutlery -
Politely asked him for some knives and forks and he never came back!

Food isn't great. Time before last the burger was cold and raw. sunday roast was stringy beef meat and table next to us complained as veg was so hard they couldn't get a fork into it.
Has had a big makeover and is trying to present itself as a fancy gastropub but it's really not even close to being that. I really wouldn't bother again.

indiekid - 8 Jun 2013 13:49
PUB IS NOW CALLED - 'VILLAGE GATE'

outside, the building is beuatifull, although it suffers from a busy road being directly in front of it. if you are able to get the outside seating thats tucked away out of view of the road then its nice, otherwise... your view is a main road.

inside, this place is clearly trying to be as upmarket as possible. its all very modern and bright, with very trendy paint scheme and fittings. not usually what i like in a pub, but they do seem to have gotten this trendy feel right.

ales and beers were suprisingly very good, and some interesting varities too.

all in all, if i feel the need to go somewhere a bit fancy pants, then this is where i'd choose... but that doesnt happen often.

CHELSEA_on_tour - 1 Oct 2012 11:55
As mentioned below: now called THE VILLAGE GATE. Not been here for a couple of years owing to it's nowhere position between Wendover and Weston Turville. Very pleasant pub to be in, refurbished very well. Certaintly a gastro but plenty of space to drink in & on this Wednesday most of the pub to drink in. 3 ales: Black Sheep, London Pride & GK IPA. I tried the Black Sheep which was fine. Worth keeping an eye on the beers as they were often poor under previous mangement.
Booze_Allen - 29 Jul 2011 15:04
My experience here was far from satisfactory, had a pint of Old Hooky, either the lines hadn't been cleaned or aylesbury united had been playing football in the cellar with the barrel.

Then onto the food I had the plaice and was promised it was fresh, however I went on a monday and as far as I know fish markets don't open till tuesday mornings, It certainly didn't taste fresh but perhaps that's because they had a quiet weekend as I was in there on the saturday and there was only 4 others in the entire pub!!

The service or lack of, perhaps its just me but my pet hate is being served beer with the barman holding the glass from its rim, I found the chap who served me Abrubt and as if his mind was elsewhere, Perhaps he wanted to be elswhere as all I could here him talking about was swansea and his pregnant girlfriend.

I certainly won't be going back in the near future which is a shame as I hate all the chain pubs/restaurants and was really hoping this would be an independant eatery I could rely on to take my friends family and business colleagues.
aylesburygastro - 15 Jul 2011 15:45