The Commercial, Herne Hill - pub details

Commercial
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5] [image 6] [image 7] [image 8] [image 9] [image 10]

Address: 210-212, Railton Rd, Herne Hill, London, SE24 0JT [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 7066) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube station Brixton (0.9 miles)

Nearest train stations Herne Hill (0.1 miles), North Dulwich (0.7 miles), Brixton (0.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 5.4/10 (rated by 65 users)
> Local guide: London pub guide

Escape Bar and Art, Herne Hill (0.0 miles), The Florence, Herne Hill (0.0 miles), 127, Herne Hill (0.0 miles), Number 22, Herne Hill (0.1 miles), Half Moon, Herne HIll (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Commercial, Herne Hill

Pub opposite entrance to Herne Hill Station. Useful if your train is cancelled (which Thameslink trains frequently are). Pub has free wi-fi so can check times there. Usually quite busy, but service is always very prompt. Beer quality can vary a bit, but in my most recent visit I had a Harbour Brewing Company, Breakfast Pale Ale 4.5% which was very nice.
southlondonbeero - 4 Dec 2016 16:04
With the pub I'd planned to visit not yet open at 11:30, I found the Commercial opened and thought I'd have a swift one there. It's just opposite the railway station and has a nice feel to it. Surprisingly 3 ales were on - Sharps Doom Bar, Sambrooks Junction & Black Hill Rok. Even more surprising was a real cider - Orchard Pig Maverick. But when I pointed at the box and asked for a pint of cider, I was offered Aspalls or Addlestones. Another customer also came in and asked what ciders they served. Why is it that everybody forgets about the real cider and try to promote the artificial stuff?! Anyway, rant over. I quite enjoyed my half and all credit to them for actually stocking real cider.
blue_scrumpy - 5 Jul 2015 14:20
The pub is very close to the train station and Brockwell Park (so nice for stopping off after you have had a walk). There were three real ales on. I was offered a taste as the beer I selected was 'unusual'. So a very friendly barman. The pint was much to my liking - well kept. The prices are high - so beware! Inside the pub is snug but with plenty of seating and there is a fixed price menu. I didn't try the food so can't comment on the quality. The punters there seemed more of the well to do set - unlike the Brixton end of Railton Road!
julesbaby - 2 Apr 2014 10:51
eye ad sondee dinner ear and it wos volting and dergusting the chikin was blud and orrid culer and cood have kild me.
avoyd if yo went to sty alyv
bertrand - 15 Oct 2013 10:18
saw this place loads when coming out of herne hill station and thought it looked cool. finally made it there and wasn't impressed. we had reserved a table and yet someone was sitting there which was embarrassing when we had to get the staff to ask them to leave. having sat down, we discovered the seats were far too low for the table and we were gonna be eating. we were moved to a corner but this was far too dimly lit. we eventually moved away ourselves again. the food was okay, but for what they're charging it should have been great. i had southern fried chicken which was dullsville. i really thought the coating would be zingy and full of flavour. far from it. thin fries were aneemic in colour and needed 10 more mins at least in the oven. very pricy gastropub-style food but for what they're charging should have been so much better. Staff very sullen. And they also adopt the serving two people at a time system at the bar which irks me. Just show one customer your full attention at any given time. Could have been so much better.
montymonty - 17 Sep 2013 07:14