The Sussex Arms, Twickenham - pub details

Sussex Arms
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5] [image 6] [image 7] [image 8] [image 9] [image 10] [image 11]

Address: 15 Staines Road, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW2 5BG [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 6910) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Website: tbc

Nearest train stations Strawberry Hill (0.5 miles), Whitton (0.7 miles), Fulwell (0.8 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.5/10 (rated by 93 users)
> Local guide: Middlesex pub guide

Wine Bar, Twickenham (0.1 miles), Prince Blucher, Twickenham (0.1 miles), Prince Albert, Twickenham (0.2 miles), King's Arms, Twickenham (0.2 miles), Rifleman, Twickenham (0.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Sussex Arms, Twickenham

Currently has the excellent Biddenden cider on. AFAIK that makes it one of two pubs in London to stock Biddies, the other being the Claret at Addiscombe which always has it.

A brilliant pub in many ways, but I wish they would get rid of the canned muzak.

The steak dinner with a pint for £12 on Thursdays is a good deal - my steak was substantial and tasty.
jgurney1 - 25 May 2016 19:35

jgurney1 - 25 May 2016 19:35
A scruffy pub that has many different beers and ciders,far too many to keep in good condition, my first pint was cloudy ,vinegary and clearly undrinkable after drawing this to the attention of the server two others behind the bar chipped in wondering how much I knew about Cronx beers,well I've tried enough and I can walk to the brewery from home. I offered to buy all three a pint of this if they would drink the lot,this was refused -i cannot imagine why. If you have to bother with this pub the emphasis is on high gravity beers and ciders. It just has to be a zero.
slerpy - 3 Apr 2016 14:50
I have to say that since new management has taken over there has been a dramatic improvement to the pub as it was slowly declining from what it once was. The loos have been sorted out, the beer range is more coherent and organised in a more logical manner.

The one thing I still don't understand though is this - the pub currently has a zero rating for hygiene at the last inspection in May last year

I don't understand why this hasn't been rectified and a re-inspection taking place because until it has I wouldn't feel comfortable about eating there.
PDWR - 29 Jan 2016 14:30
I still like the Sussex Arms and its sister pubs the Antelope and the Express Tavern. I hadn't been to the Sussex Arms for almost 3 years and nothing much has changed, apart from maybe the food prices. We were planning to have one of the pies. But at £14, we elected not to. Beer prices were still reasonable though. On venturing early on a Tuesday evening, it was fairly busy. A small group were having what looked like an office party in the back room, whilst the main bar was reasonably busy too. I chose a table next to the pub's little kitten, who was on a shelf! Not all handpulls were in use on arrival. The ale selection was Big Smoke Electric Eye, Saltaire Challenger Special & Raspberry Blonde, Twickenham Sundancer, Grandstand, Milk Stout & Vanilla Stout & Mondo James Brown Ale. Before long, 5 new beers were pulled through - Big Smoke IPA & Underworld Milk Stout, Thames Side White Swan Pale, Triple fff Comfortably Numb & Vale GMT. There appeared to be many more local brewers than I remember from previous visits. There are some interesting keg options too. Ciders were Millwhites Apples & Pears & Hedgelayer, Abrahalls Dry, Lilleys Mango Cider, Vachery Farm Guildford Dancing Juice & Gwynt y Ddraig Black Dragon. Bar staff (all male) were friendly enough and were serving people in order. They still do the deal where you buy 9 pints and get the 10th one free. Still one of London's best pubs.
blue_scrumpy - 4 Dec 2015 20:57