Tan Hill Inn, Keld - pub details

Tan Hill Inn

Address: Keld, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL11 6ED [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 6440) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

> Current user rating: 6.7/10 (rated by 93 users)

user reviews of Tan Hill Inn, Keld

This is the highest pub in England. It's sits 1,700 ft. above sea level.
Tuna - 25 Feb 2017 16:02
If ever there was a reason why 16 pubs a week close then this is it. After driving 300 miles (set off at 4am) then walked 4 miles from Keld, in the snow, I was told I was too late for any food at 3.10pm (but I could have some crisps) and was sold a terrible pint of Theakston's by 2 incompetent teenagers who couldn't pour a pint or work the till to take my money. But worse was to come - I sat in the lounge area ON MY OWN but was shouted at to get outside by some cantankerous bint called Reny who said mobile phone calls were banned in the bars. (I was only trying to ensure that my neighbour had remembered to feed my cat whilst I was away and the pub was the only phone reception I had had for 6 hours!) This was the first time I had returned to this pub in 25 years - Great Yorkshire hospitality. Sell up and convert it to a house - or get rid of the muppets and run it like a business with decent service, drink and food.
fatboythin - 10 Apr 2012 22:16
Sorry to say that I don't agree with a lot of the more favourable reviews about this pub.

We found the place to be a bit shabby, tired and not very well run. Almost all of the pump clips were turned around, which considering it was an unseasonably warm friday, and they'd surely be expecting an influx of people that day for the weekend, I found a bit odd. The only pump that was working was the Old Peculier (which, if you read my other reviews, I have a particular penchant for) and that was on very fine form.

That said and for all the hype that surrounds this pub, I found that the massive detour that we took to try it wasn't worth the fuel.
littledrummerboy - 7 Oct 2011 10:19
I pop in here whenever i am up in Richmond visiting the Outlaws.
Came in today for a bite to eat and a pint of Black Sheep. recieved a warm enough welcome and enjoyed my visit once again
the_wandering_barman - 16 Jul 2011 22:53
Always make a point of stopping off here after walking in Swaledale or Arkengarthdale. It has a fantastic location, and on a clear day the views are amazing.
Inside, once you get past the pet lambs(!), it feels warm and snug, with that comforting smell of a low coal fire. Always a good choice of ales - tried Old Peculiar and their 'house ' beer which is a tasty 5% er brewed by Dent - both were in excellent condition.
Sat in the lower room - very comfy, and chatted to a local about all the music gigs that go on here...never been able to make one of those yet, but they sound epic!
A great pub if in the area.
evilfishkiller - 23 Apr 2011 09:26