The Bell Inn, Almeley - pub details

Bell Inn

Address: Almeley, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR3 6LF [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 35601) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

> Current user rating: 5.6/10 (rated by 15 users)

Ferney, Woonton (1.3 miles), Kinnersley Arms, Kinnersley (1.9 miles), New Strand, Eardisley (1.9 miles), Tram Inn, Eardisley (1.9 miles)

user reviews of the Bell Inn, Almeley

The Bells (not The Bell!) was our first pub of the day yesterday when out for a day's walking and it was nice to find an excellent Three Tuns Rantipole as a not too strong opener although the Mulberry Duck Golden Sparkle was not quite ready. We sat outside so didn't take too much notice of the interior although I wrote down "bright inside but slightly dated". They had just finished a fundraising coffee morning and the local shop is based here so this is clearly a pub that is at the heart of the community which has to be a good thing. Can see no reason why I wouldn't want to try it again if passing by and a current BITE rating of 5.4 seems too low to me.
paul_d102 - 21 Sep 2014 18:58
After hearing such good reports about The Bell, we decided to sample Sunday lunch there recently. The greeting we received from Jason, the landlord, was warm, friendly and genuine and we felt welcome the minute we walked in. Our lunch was faultless - beautifully tender meat and a lovely selection of fresh vegetables all cooked to perfection by Jason's wife Lisa - and served on hot plates which is not always the case in other establishments! We finished with an American apple pie to die for. Jason keeps an excellent pint and selection of wines and all in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The atmosphere was great, with a nice mix of 'locals' and visitors and nothing was too much trouble. We will definitely go back regularly and urge anyone reading this to give The Bell a whirl. FANTASTIC PEOPLE AND FOOD.
coffeelady - 14 May 2011 12:38
Bells Inn, Almeley - We have just moved to this area and have visisted the pub on a couple of occasions. Everytime we have been here we have received a very warm welcome from Jason the landlord, with nothing being too much trouble. Lisa his wife cooks the most amazing Sunday lunches. Fresh local produce is used, the roasts melt in your mouth and highly recommended is the tradditional American apple pie. Portions are more than adequate, you wont be leaving hungry. Almeley is a lovely little English village, off the beaten track, complete with cricket pitch and historic church. Well worth a visit.
red_rabbit - 24 Nov 2010 13:25
Was intrigued by the bad review referring to "east end of Lomdon" and "dubious background" so being a Martina Cole fan had to visit this hostelrie. Found it to be nothing like the review left - this lady must have been having a real off day as I found the Landlord and Landlady to be extremely warm and welcoming, the beer glorious and the food excellent just what is needed in a country pub. Would highly recommend a visit. Pity other village pubs don't follow their lead.
darflan - 14 Sep 2010 14:32
Bells Inn, Almeley, Hereford. I visited this pub for lunch, along with approx 20 walkers. We ordered our meals at 10 a.m. to be ready for l p.m. on our return. My husband and myself ordered sandwiches, not too difficult!! His beef sandwich arrived, followed 20 mins later by scampi and chips for our guest. Her meal was stone cold, no cutlery, which followed, then eventually some condiments. One hour later, still no sandwich for me. I went to enquire if it would be much longer and was told that I was a miserable old cow. I was offered my money back, which I opted for, and some of my companions and also not had their food either. After a considerable amount of back chat we left, the supposed Landlord followed us to the car park issuing four letter abuse and threatening to take my face off. My rather large husband, intervened, and we left the premises.
I could not in any way recommend this appalling pub to anyone, and will inform as many people as I can about my treatment. All I can say is that these people in charge of the premises, from what I have since established, are from the East End of London and of dubious background.
DO NOT GO THERE.