The Ram Inn, Firle - pub details

Address: The Street, Firle, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 6NS [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 27644) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Glynde (1.1 miles), Southease (2.7 miles), Berwick (3.8 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.1/10 (rated by 30 users)
> Local guide: East Sussex pub guide

Trevor Arms, Glynde (1.2 miles)

user reviews of the Ram Inn, Firle

Yes I believe it is overpriced except for Harveys. I went there and they had two Dark Star ales on - Hophead (3.8%) and American Pale (4.7%). The Hophead cost more at something (can't quite remember exactly) pushing 4. Unfortunately these people are also running the Trevor across the road in Glynde so cutting the competition
sussexchap - 15 Aug 2012 09:56
A restaurant that serves beer not a pub.....alas.

I remember drinking in this pub over fifteen years ago when it was a lively village pub serving the community with good beer and 'pub grub'. However in the intervening years it seems to have changed into a pub catering for a different crowd....seemingly lots of people from West London with a huge sense of entitlement demanding a 'local pub' whilst braying at each other about how one simply cannot find some obscure italian cheese outside of their deli in Notting Hill. A great shame but I guess that this part of the world has changed considerably over the past few years...just look at Lewes.... and the pub survives by changing with the times, (and clientele).

The Harveys bitter was still spot on though.
ridleyman - 3 Jun 2012 21:34
It's an ok pub, but a little to gastropubby for my tastes... I always have mixed feelings when I visit a pub that I first frequented 25 years ago. Back then, the food was non existent, or dire. But it had a lovely ramshackle feeling, and was very local - though me and my mates would came by train from Brighton, we'd exhaust ourselves stomping over the South Downs, and then descend to quaff several pints by the fire and whack our heads on the low beam on the way to the gents. And then at the last conceivable minute leg it to Glynde station for the last train back to Brighton, and fall asleep.

Since then the place has been all been spruced up, painted, made neat, expanded, and now concentrates on food, thus attracting wealthier cliental from a far greater range. There are still locals that congregate around the bar, but most the rest of the patrons are intensely middle class here to reinforce their life style choices.

In my opinion the beer isn't as well kept as the Rose Cottage or the Cricketers, both of which have gone thru their own transformation from sleepy locals to gastro complexes. But, like Sussexcrawler, I too prefer the Rose Cottage out of all the one strung out under the downs. I don't go to the Ram much anymore, perhaps just because of those memories - but if you have none, or need to go to the right place suitable for weekend activities, I'm sure you'll enjoy your meal.
rachaelov - 26 May 2012 15:57
Following my earlier rather critical review I actually tried the food today on my return visit. My ham sandwich was excellent but at 6.95 it should be. I found the 3.00 for a pint of Harvey's reasonable though. For a Friday, the pub was pretty quiet which was surprising, presumably people are being more careful with their money at the moment. Not a bad visit but I still prefer Rose Cottage.
Sussexcrawler - 21 Oct 2011 17:51
We ate at the Ram last Friday, with my 3 children in tow! We arrived at 12pm and it was empty but lots of staff milling around so I suspected a rush was expected! We ordered the creamy mushrooms on toast, sausages and fries, hamburger/fries for the children and a steak ciabatta.
It was DELICIOUS! The food was brought to us outside by very helpful staff who also brought out pots of sauce etc. You do have to fetch your own cutlery, found in various areas of the bar and by the back door!. They serve the food on thick wooden boards and the fries were hot, crispy and divine. My children ate ALL and left nothing for me (as I have a habit of polishing their plates!).
The quality of the food is wonderful but soon after we arrived, just after 12pm, the place was suddenly crammed to bursting, so it pays to get here early.
If you go out the back way, through the garden or by the loos, you can get to the cricket pitch in a beautiful setting with fields and a play area. Part of the Firle Estate but open to public. Beautiful setting. After lunch we drove up to Firle Beacon and then on to Charleston House. Such tourists we are!! Lived in Brighton all my life., but just discovered this wonderful chocolate box village!

Finally a mention to Humphrey the bar dog. My boys had such fun throwing sticks to this lovely dog, only a puppy but great with lively children. Even when an out of control greyhound was let loose in the garden, Humprey kept his cool! My boys have talked non stop about Humprey since our visit.

A wonderful visit, so friendly. How a village pub should be!!
Susansusie - 23 Aug 2011 23:12