The Admiral Benbow, Penzance - pub details

Admiral Benbow

Address: 46, Chapel St, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 4AF [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 25340) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train station Penzance (0.4 miles)

> Current user rating: 8.0/10 (rated by 37 users)

Turks Head, Penzance (0.0 miles), Zero Lounge, Penzance (0.1 miles), Regent, Penzance (0.1 miles), Union Hotel, Penzance (0.1 miles), Globe, Penzance (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Admiral Benbow, Penzance

I walked to this pub from the station via the promenade and the nearby, delightful, Morrab gardens. It has one of the most bizarre and intensely decorated interiors I have ever seen in a pub. You almost need a guided tour to make the most of it , which I undoubtedly didn't with my one pint visit. But, a fabulous, intriguing venue and a national and regional treasure. I was delighted to find the wonderfully bitter, Dartmoor Best on sale. Which I was able to relax and enjoy as, in spite of all its historic features this is also a proper pub, where I felt instantly at home.
tarkatherotter - 18 Sep 2016 10:07
This was the main place we headed for during our holiday. Much has been said already about the maritime interior and the collection of seafaring memorabilia so instead I shall stick to the quality of the beer and also the food. Eating out here was a really good experience, okay, so you had to wait a little while for the food to arrive but when it is as good as this was you really don't mind. Average main costs about £12. Rick Stein eat your heart out. I have to admit I only drank one beer, St Austell Proper Job. This is a fine drink, (best in the country IMHO), and was beautifully kept and served. The place does get rather busy particularly in the holiday season so if you intend eating I suggest booking a table.
doctorpint - 27 Aug 2016 15:56
Yes well what can be said for this unusual gem of a place!
The interior is like narrowboat crossed with the high seas, every inch of spare space has some sort of brightly coloured sea related adournement stuck on or into it, beer tasted great and the music - one of the last albums from Donna Summer played, just happened to be a favorite so ten/ten from me, my little mermaid.
goodhead - 11 Aug 2015 20:55
This is the only pub i've been in that gives you sea sickness before drinking a pint, the facade was used for the film Treasure Island. The inside resembles a pirate galleon in every respect, my visit was on the 29th June and several men/women were dressed in fancy dress as it was the town's annual fete/parade and drunks littered Penzance but I must say that they all seemed to have had a great time and were very good natured.
slerpy - 15 Jul 2013 19:36
Visited during a holiday in Penzance. Beer excellent, food good, and... There are pubs with character, and then there are pubs where it's like meeting Ken Dodd, Lily Savage, and Muse and they are determined to overwhelm you by going over their usual top. This is one of the latter. It won't be to everyone's taste, and if you find white tiles, with scandinavian glass and steel furniture too cluttered, this place will freak you out. I love it :)
kon23uk - 25 Nov 2012 13:12