The Eagle and Child, Oxford - pub details

Eagle and Child
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 49 St Giles, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 3LU [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 6214) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Oxford (0.5 miles), Islip (5.1 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.5/10 (rated by 81 users)

Lamb and Flag, Oxford (0.1 miles), Duke Of Cambridge, Oxford (0.1 miles), Morse Bar, Oxford (0.1 miles), Far From the Madding Crowd, Oxford (0.2 miles), White Rabbit, Oxford (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Eagle and Child, Oxford

10:15 on a sunday night and a choice of this or the Lamb and Flag over the road.

Both shut bang on 10:30.

You can feel the history of this place dripping off the walls but the beer quality was dreadful. Old Hooky had to be sent back - dull, cloudy and rank. It was changed with minimal fuss (held to light, which failed to penetrate) and swapped for a brighter oxford gold.

Visit blogged at http://bit.ly/2tFIpRz
Mappiman - 27 Jul 2017 15:20
Have been here many times and it has been a good experience. Today was ok ish, I ordered food and a beer. So far so good, then the food was just plonked on the table without a word. The guy behind the bar really needs to want to work here and gain some customer skills. After all, the customer pays his wages.
rpf1955 - 14 Jan 2016 18:23
Popped in today (Fri lunchtime approx 12:30) not particularly busy, but it all changed when a party of American pensioners flooded the place. The nooks and crannies at the front of the pub were all taken , as was the rabbit room and rear conservatory. We have a pre conceived idea of our American cousins, especially the more mature variety. However, these folk were charming, ordered quickly and were served quickly. I did n`t partake as the food was so expensive. I felt a bit sorry for them, as they expect good service as a given. The couple behind the bar were efficient, but were blank expressioned. Just a bit of light-hearted banter or just even a smile would have made all the difference, but nothing. I felt ashamed that these visitors would judge all of us from this poor service. I hope not. The toilets were poor, the seat was hanging off the pedestal. I went in because it was close to the Ashmolean and there was the Tolkien and CS Lewis link (like a tourist) so I can`t moan if it`s touristy. (The Lamb and Flag over the road is better, and has more room but is cash only) Me? I gulped down my £3.80 Timothy Taylor Landlord, which was excellent, and went on my way. They do Brakspear bitter as well.
anarchobeer - 11 Sep 2015 18:45
Decent enough boozer, mobbed on Saturday evening. Beer quality good.
pwilkins - 24 Nov 2014 12:39
The front and middle patrs of this pub are the best. the rear is an add on.
Friendly and helpful staff. Good food served in the evening till about 9 i think.
Brakspear bitter £2.90 was very good and Caledonian Autumn Red was not quite my taste, £3.35. Overall a good pub.
rpf1955 - 10 Oct 2014 16:26