The Prince Arthur, Brighton - pub details

Prince Arthur

Address: 38 Dean Street, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 3EG [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 5510) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Brighton (0.5 miles), London Road - Brighton (1 mile), Hove (1.3 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.9/10 (rated by 15 users)
> Local guide: East Sussex pub guide

Shakespeares Head, Brighton (0.0 miles), Hotel du Vin and Bistro, Brighton (0.0 miles), Seven Stars, Brighton (0.0 miles), Pub du Vin, Brighton (0.0 miles), Windmill, Brighton (0.0 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Prince Arthur, Brighton

I had previously walked past this pub on visits to Brighton and thought it looked like a place to avoid. Recently walked past and noticed it appeared to have been completely revamped so went for a meal there with friends.

Had a steak and a pint or two of a local ale, the name of which escapes me now. Both were excellent and I am really fussy about my steaks. Nice friendly atmosphere in there and like what they have done with the inside. Would go back again.
GMDLondon - 24 Feb 2012 13:37
Sadly Spoonography apart from the man being behind the bar being friendly this pub appears to be as bad as when you were here.The first thing that hit me was the smell,i have never smelt anything quite like it in a pub in my 25 years of pub going.Secondly i was in there over half an hour and my friend and i were the only people in there the whole time,and this was 7:30 pm on a sunny Sunday July evening.The final dreadful thing about the pub was the bitter was cloudy and poor tasting.
Strangely the decor was nice-it has being refurbed realitively recently and so was clean and the toilets were fine.There was also a nice conservatory area but i cannot imagine ever going near this pub again unless it changes ownership.
boundsgreenboy - 11 Jul 2011 11:43
(Please note this review is from the one and only time we went to the Prince Arthur in Sept 2009) Went in for a drink after skating for a couple of hours on the sea-front. When I finally managed to get the attention of the bloke behind the bar away from a loud shoot-em-up xbox game he was busy playing on the big screen I asked if I could have a pint of water as I was very quite dehydrated. He refused to give me a full pint, saying "people never drink a whole pint and we're on a water meter." I downed the half pint that he'd generously given me and then asked for a refill. Not to be akward but because I was very thirsty.
We ordered a couple of pints and sat down to drink them. The atmosphere was shit, we were made to feel unwelcome from start to finish. I would not recommend this place to anyone and have never been back. I hope things have changed since 2009.
Spoonography - 20 Nov 2010 18:19
Went in last week in the evening for a meal curtly told kitchen shut, no apology and the clintielle were hostile. AVOID
Barra - 11 Nov 2010 12:43
To me this place seems half old mans pub, half gay bar- an interesting combination! Friendly enough, but nothing special. Harveys didn't taste as good as normal
steve_on_tour - 15 Apr 2008 13:24