The Marquess of Anglesey, Covent Garden - pub details

Marquess of Anglesey

Address: 39 Bow Street, London, WC2E 7AU [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 526) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Covent Garden (0.1 miles), Holborn (0.3 miles), Leicester Square (0.3 miles)

Nearest train stations London Charing Cross (0.4 miles), London Waterloo East (0.8 miles), London Waterloo (0.8 miles)

Brewery: Young's

by dsf

> Current user rating: 5.6/10 (rated by 67 users)
> Related article: Monopoly Board Pub Crawl by mike, dsf
> Local guides: London pub guide, Central London pub guide

Globe, Covent Garden (0.0 miles), Coach and Horses, Covent Garden (0.0 miles), Corner Store, Covent Garden (0.0 miles), Opera Tavern, Covent Garden (0.0 miles), Nell of Old Drury, Covent Garden (0.0 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Marquess of Anglesey, Covent Garden

Visited this pub as part of the monopoly pub crawl. We rocked up in the early afternoon and asked for out drinks. When the the young man behind the bar realised I was going to need 13 half pints he informed me the policy of the pub is not to serve large groups. He then poured the drinks away he had already pulled. A crazy policy which this pub and all the others on bow street had. (the only pubs we encountered this issue on) This shows the pubs are food focused and can afford to refuse service to people needing a small libation. The group of lads I was with could not be any more friendly, a terrible policy which I would like the landlord to explain. I concur with other reviewers, décor straight out of 'rent a pub' soulless with a transient clientele. I heartily recommend the lyceum on the strand for all people needing a drink in the area.
balfour_78 - 4 May 2014 19:09
I likewise used to visit this pub in the 80s when it was a proper local boozer. Unfortunately Young's gave it one of their make-overs and turned it into a grim, noisy bar as opposed to a pub. I no longer recommend it.
Tewin - 10 Jun 2013 23:39
I used to go to this pub a lot in the 1980s when I worked nearby. It used to be a classic Young's pub but like them all its had a number of makeovers, most of them for the worse. This one has high stools and high tables, which I hate. Normal Young's range and I drank the ordinary, which was in good condition. The prices were reasonable for the area. Pleasant enough place to stop for an afternoon pint but it gets packed in the evenings.
Sussexcrawler - 15 May 2013 07:15
Popped into the Marquess yesterday for a quick half! Nice looking pub, on corner of Bow Street (..world famous for the 'cop shop' & court house!) Clean&tidy, plenty of windows to sit and watch London go by! A pint of ale and one G+T cost just over Ten Quid...!! Extortionate! So we went to The Chandos, 10 minutes walk away, and got 4 x drinks for same price. :o)
TeeJay - 18 Apr 2013 17:18
Ordinary pub. Had an okay single pint of Wells Bombardier. Exepnsive, but this pub is in Covent Garden tourist honey-pot. I don’t like sitting high up on a stool with no back support: why do pub interior designers like them so much? I suppose it keeps you above the waist level you’d be at in a crowded pub. To be positive: the serving staff were friendly and attentive, and the lavatories were clean.
Mona_Growser - 11 Nov 2012 15:34