The Sportsman 'Time Well Spent', Mogador - pub details

Sportsman 'Time Well Spent'
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5]

Address: Mogador Road, Mogador, Tadworth, Surrey, KT20 7ES [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 5255) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Reigate (1.9 miles), Tadworth (2.1 miles), Betchworth (2.3 miles)

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 7.0/10 (rated by 80 users)
> Local guide: Surrey pub guide

Fox on the Hill, Lower Kingswood (0.7 miles), Yew Tree 'Time well spent', Reigate Hill (1.3 miles), Blue Ball, Walton On The Hill (1.5 miles), Admiral, Reigate (1.5 miles), Jolly Farmers, Betchworth (1.6 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of The Sportsman 'Time Well Spent', Mogador

Deceptively roomy and popular pub on the edge of expansive Surrey heathland. Service is polite and efficient although the interior itself is somewhat soulless. Choice of four or five 'usual suspect' ales (Wychwood, Jennings, Brains etc...) with the Otter Ale being in good condition. A middle class clientele as one might expect from the area. All in all, a dependable, comfortable choice that can probably get pretty busy on high days and holidays.
richythemole - 21 May 2013 07:46
Well that was a worthwhile look at BITE this morning knowing we'd be in the Tadworth area and needing a pub, sold by the couple of recent positive reviews. Good pub and the landlord greeting arrivals if he happens to be lurking is a nice touch. Sunny day and loads of walkers and dog owners about, I have never seen so many dogs in a pub 'garden', not surprising though I suppose as it's on the edge of Banstead Common. They were all well behaved though (and so were the dogs). 4 beers on: Skinners Cornish Knocker, Sharps Doom Bar, Rev James and one other (can't remember, but nothing exciting). Food good quality but a little dear at £12-14 for a main, but not too long to wait given it was so busy. Service good. One to bear in mind for future, that's for sure.
PhilR - 21 Apr 2013 18:17
The Sportsman at Mogador, What a find ! The Pub is hard to find by road, but when you do, you will be delighted. I took my Mother for a Sunday lunch (27/01/2013) we were greeted by the landlord,a very pleasant man. The place was very busy inside and out, but we had a choice of three tables in the bar area. It was the first sunny day in a long time and the snow was almost gone, so there were lots of dog walkers about. We picked a table near the open log fire, very nice. We looked at the very extensive menu in awe. All of the staff were smartly dressed and very attentive. The food was exceptional and service second to none. I have for years never wanted to leave a tip in many pubs/ restaurants, but this place is on another level. Have already booked a table in the restaurant for next week with special friends. As for the very few negative comments, if you are polite,and well behaved and have control of your pets and children you are guarantied a very pleasant time. Brian Davis

Brian_Davis - 4 Feb 2013 05:43
What a fantastic location for a pub! The views and tranquil ambiance are spectacular. Unfortunately that is where the positive comments end as the actual atmosphere inside does not come anywhere near the visual appeal of the outside.

On one of my few visits it was raining and very windy but we made the effort to walk to the pub with our two children to get out of the house. Upon opening the door to the pub I was immediately told by the barmaid that I had had a wasted journey. I asked why, were they closing and she said no I was not allowed in with children! We sat outside in the cold and rain while the other patrons with their dogs and all, sat in the warmth inside the pub.

On another visit we were met with all the 'locals' stood at the bar ensuring that nobody could get to order a drink! On a final visit we were one of maybe 4 other couples at the pub on a lovely summers day with our dog. She was malting at the time and when we got up to leave we were approached by the landlady who instead of asking if we had had a nice meal or had enjoyed our wine was told to pick up all the dog hair in the grass! We looked around and noticed piles of cigarette buts and ash in the grass where they emptied their ash trays out!

Hopefully you will be saved from making the same mistake as we have on the occasions we have visited and should the management change please do let us know. As I have said, the location is magical but the service and management lead much to be desired!
scottb75 - 21 Jan 2013 13:01
What a lovely place! My husband used to come here years ago and we decided to go for lunch with our children and then go for a walk on the downs. The food was extremely yummy and the portions a great size. Staff friendly and polite, even though it was very busy and the toilets were very clean (always important to me). Can't wait for our next visit.
Scottishgirldownsouth - 14 Oct 2012 17:43