The Butchers Hook, Southampton - pub details

Address: 7 Manor Farm Road, Southampton, Hampshire, SO18 1NN [map] [gmap]

Nearest train stations Bitterne (0.4 miles), St Denys (0.6 miles), Swaythling (1.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.7/10 (rated by 7 users)

Station Hotel, Bitterne Park (0.3 miles), St Denys Hotel, St Denys (0.3 miles), Bridge Inn, St Denys (0.4 miles), Talking Heads, Portswood (0.5 miles), Waggoners Arms, Southampton (0.5 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Butchers Hook, Southampton

Really love this place. Beer is always in good form and well chosen from excellent breweries such as Vibrant Forest & Wild Brewing. Still my favourite of Southampton's three (soon to be four) micropubs. Just wish they would extend their opening hours so I can visit more often
baxterfish - 30 Mar 2016 12:54
We loved this place. We had walked from Central station so needed a pint or 3. All four ales were on and a broad selection from light and hoppy to a porter. Also were 3 ciders including a delicious scrumpy style from Hampshire. It was a great atmosphere and not too busy at 5pm on a Saturday. It wouldn't take much for it to get crowded but hey it's a micro-pub. Just shows what a lot of these big pubs owned by national and pub owning companies are missing.....the knowledge of what customers want not what the accountants want us to have. Great place, highly recommended but try to go at less obvious times of day. Check for varied opening times
Steamer1 - 17 Jan 2016 19:00
Now that I have been able to find an empty seat in the BH, and not wriggle my way through the throng, or queue outside in the rain, it seems that the Emperor may have some new clothes. The beers are, clearly, pretty good (in the main - not having had a chance to sample many) but even the one tasted by my erstwhile brother (a very fine brew) was not worth nearly £10 a pint!

It is plain to see that this is a popular bar, but it seems to be a triumph of style over substance. That said, if the "sardines" want to squeeze in there, and bellow to each other (not the spot, for a quiet pint or three) then fair play to them. There are splendid pints of beauteous, foaming, cask-conditioned English ales to be had - for less money and with room to stretch the legs, and if the beloved wants to whisper sweet somethings in your shell-like, then you'll be able to hear - within a mile or so. I wouldn't say that I won't visit again, but generally, I'll be crossing the bridge, or walking up the river.
K_Z_Lundt - 18 Aug 2015 22:33
Visited on Sunday. Phoned before we went and were told four real ales on. When we got there the two session beers (a 3.4% and a 3.8℅) were finished. Two mid-strength left - one an odd IPA. I had a red beer, I don't normally like them. Glad I just had a half. It was in good condition. The bottled stout was pleasant enough but not so nice to have another. We went off to Talking Heads.

It's an interesting interior with lovely original tiling. The seating, the layout and general vibe were all great. Certainly a positive addition to the Soton beer scene.
BUT I can't see how bringing in four casks on each Monday and running them all out is supposed to work. I agree there's not much room but surely having a second barrel of a session beer isn't too much to ask. There's shelves of empties at the moment.

Overall 7/10.
Interestingly the previous very positive reviewer has never written any others.
Old_King_Cole - 11 Nov 2014 20:07
This pub is a very good and much needed addition to the East side of Southampton. I don't live far away, so have visited this litle micro a lot. Being so small generates a good atmosphere as people talk to each other which is great. The quality of the beer is consistently good. I have found on my visits that the quality and temperature of the beer has been spot on.
The beer range is ever changing and also some of the craft beers are very good as is the bottled beer and Belgian beer too.
It's very friendly, the owners have worked very hard since it opened and the place is always busy. So they must be doing something right.
Opening hours have been extended including now open on Sundays from 2pm which is good news.
philsg - 18 Sep 2014 11:53