St James Tavern, Piccadilly - pub details

St James Tavern

Address: 45 Great Windmill Street, Piccadilly, London, W1D 7NE [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 36676) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Piccadilly Circus (0.1 miles), Leicester Square (0.3 miles), Tottenham Court Road (0.4 miles)

Nearest train stations London Charing Cross (0.5 miles), London Waterloo (1.1 miles), London Waterloo East (1.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 4.8/10 (rated by 15 users)
> Local guides: London pub guide, Central London pub guide

Lyric, Soho (0.0 miles), On Anon, Piccadilly Circus (0.0 miles), Jewel/Bar Blanca, Piccadilly Circus (0.1 miles), Queens Head, Piccadilly (0.1 miles), Bar Rumba, Soho (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of St James Tavern, Piccadilly

Popped in here about 1.30 pm the other day and it was standing room only. Not surprising as it's in a prominent position and very popular with tourists.
The beers on offer were Doombar & Rev James. The R J was okay.
I didn't eat at all though plenty of others were tucking in so they must be doing something right.
An okay pub for a quick drink but not one I would stay in for too long and there are better available not far away.
outtamehead - 5 Apr 2015 14:49
Good service, with none of the problems encountered below. Beer fabulous and the pre-Christmas atmosphere was great. Certainly one of the better pubs in the area.
strangetorpor - 9 Jan 2014 15:39
On the tourist trail so watch your change as the tall short haired barman will try and short change you.

I took 6 Norwegians to this pub Friday 13th December 2013 around 2000 - 2030.

I asked for x 3 guinness, x 3 Heineken and a cider. £30.40 - fair doos London prices - cannot complain.

Gave the barmen (tall short hair) x 1 £20 as I could not hear him over the music. He made a joke as if to make me look stupid.

OK so I acknowledged my mistake and gave him x 2 £20s and expect £10.60 change.

You can guess what happened he put 0.60p change in my hand and moved off REAL sharpish. Normally I do not check my change but the fact that he ran off got me suspicious and low-and-behold I was a tenner down.

Finally I got his attention and made him aware of his 'error' he said he would have to contact the manager. But again he went off sharpish not giving me time to say to him to turn the music down as anything we say must be witnessed. I was not going to be accused of fraud by him. He went just around the other side of the bar where I could not see him (probably to get the stashed tenner) clicked the til open and returned my change. By the way the money wasn't even mine you thieving scum.
pint_o_mild_please - 14 Dec 2013 19:10
Popped in as the Northern Line was up the spout so had to change at Piccadilly Circus. London Fields was good and the barman even topped the head up, but others weren't so lucky; perhaps I looked like a serious beer drinker. My wife liked the wine as it was cold (not always a given) and fresh (likewise). Had difficulty getting served for our second drink and I suspect the bar man only did so after we were comparing the service we get in Ireland (which is excellent). I'll call in again another time to see if my experiences were one offs or standard.
Mr_ESB_Harry - 18 Aug 2013 17:42
A fairly typical large Victorian-evoking city pub just off the main drag of Piccadilly. Its pleasant exterior gives way to a similarly-well-preserved interior, following the faithful dark brown wood and heritage decor that is so beloved of large pub-owning companies who know the target market is the tourist.

Clearly there were various tourists in tow on my last (and first) visit here on Tuesday. But there was in fact a mix of people and probably as many locals in taking a punt on the place, because of its sheer convenience if nothing else. A pleasant buzz ran throughout the place and I sensed no minority interests or troublesome behaviour.

Service was from the now-customary East European staff, who were efficient in keeping up with the steady flow of trade. 3 cask beers were available; nothing especially adventurous as presumably this pubco is tied to limited options, but reasonable enough - Brain's SA Gold sampled and was in good order despite unnecessary usage of a sparkler.

Food menus were inevitably much in evidence, and a number of customers were enjoying their wares. As I had no need of solid sustenance myself I can't comment any further, but observations suggested the usual 'traditional' pub fare was on offer (sausage and mash, fish and chips et al). Nothing unusual, but as with the ale, passable enough.

Not a destination pub as it's simply too identikit and innumerate examples of this kind of pub can now be found across central London. But it's not bad and worth popping in if it suits you - certainly preferable to negotiating the constant hurly-burly of shoppers on the streets outside.
TWG - 28 Jun 2012 18:12