The Rocket , Putney - pub details

Previously called: Rocket Riverside

Address: Brewhouse Street, London, SW15 2NS [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 3620) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Putney Bridge (0.3 miles), East Putney (0.5 miles), Parsons Green (1 mile)

Nearest train stations Putney (0.3 miles), Wandsworth Town (1.2 miles), Barnes (1.3 miles)

Chain: Wetherspoons

> Current user rating: 5.1/10 (rated by 40 users)
> Local guide: London pub guide

Louhannah Bar and Restaurant, Putney (0.1 miles), Whistle and Flute, Putney (0.1 miles), Walkabout, Putney (0.1 miles), Boathouse, Putney (0.1 miles), Spotted Horse, Putney (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Rocket , Putney

The interior is a bit hotel-like but that is the price you pay for being in a modern block. However the service is good and the beer is an ever changing range as usual with Wetherspoons. What sells this pub for me however is the river view. Sit outside and look across the water or at the trains going by. You are not however allowed to go to the benches by the wall with your drink - a very polite fellow asked me to go back 'behind the ropes' so I did. Putney is so busy these days but at least that means it allows many pubs and bars to flourish.
rainlight - 12 Jul 2015 08:15
I'm very disappointed that the Rocket seems to have lost its way and the sparkle and promise it seemed to have a couple of years back. The beer is still okay, and a good selection. It's the food. Two weeks ago on "Fish Friday" the battered cod I was presented with was in four parts and looked like it had been kicked around the kitchen a bit. The Sunday roast I received today was only luke warm, was served with dirty, sticky cutlery and no gravy. I like vegetables to be a little "al dente", but the broccoli and carrots were practically raw. Fed up with waiting for fresh cutlery, I went to fetch it myself, the waiter was busy talking to someone and he returned five minutes or so after I had got the cutlery myself. As we were finishing the meal a waitress came over and asked "Was it you who asked for gravy?" I told her not to bother as we had just about finished the meal by then. The table was dirty and the staff didn't wipe it or clear the glasses, napkins etc. left by the previous customers. I mentioned it to one of the sub-managers and he couldn't have cared less. I am feeling a bit queezy as I am writing this - after the meal and just one pint. I hope it isn't due to the food I ate there. I realise that a lot of the food is microwaved and they probably don't have budding Jamie Olivers chefing in the kitchen, but the food should be served hot with clean cutlery.
I guess you get what you pay for, but this is supposed to be a "flagship" Wetherspoons. It seems to be more of a sinking ship.
Beerscape - 8 Feb 2015 21:12
Really Pretty location. Rubbish beer (there's a much better and cheaper selection 500m up the road at the other w.spoons) . Well laid out, generally full of people who think that wetherspoons dining is top quality and drink shit lager. Really really pretty location though.

tonofbrix - 12 Nov 2014 23:27
Fantastic spot on the river, but as others have noted very popular with a 'younger' crowd. Nice couple of doombars for six quid or something very reasonable but you pay for it in your fellow patrons. Questionable as to whether the cash saving is worth it....
TommyRogers1979 - 26 Jul 2014 11:39
Nice evening with friends could have been spoiled by large, rowdy group of young fellas...shouting singing, about 15 of them. The manager dealt with them calmly and decisively. Whilst not angry or agressive he simply told them to leave. He did not waste time asking them to be quiet or behave. Just go. It was impressive and yet discrete at the same time. This experienced manager is why this Wetherspoons is so good.
doorstep - 7 Apr 2014 19:25