The White Lion, Sawbridgeworth - pub details

Address: London Road, Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, CM21 9EN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 34901) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Sawbridgeworth (0.5 miles), Harlow Mill (1.8 miles), Harlow Town (3.3 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.7/10 (rated by 11 users)

Gate, Sawbridgeworth (0.2 miles), King William IV, Sawbridgeworth (0.2 miles), George IV, Sawbridgeworth (0.2 miles), Rising Sun, High Wych (1.1 miles), Manor of Groves, Sawbridgeworth (1.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the White Lion, Sawbridgeworth

I was just reading the reviews for this pub and most seem to reflect my previous visits quite well (even down to the changes over the years!). My last visit was Christmas 2011 (just like the previous reviewer) but I can firmly say that my visit was excellent. I will repeat that because it does not happen often it “was excellent". The staff had lain what was one of the best Christmas tables I have ever seen, the fires were roaring and the atmosphere was truly memorable. We were a group of sixteen people who were all seated together on the same table (a tall task in a small pub). The table was complete with pristine black tablecloth, silver candelabra, candles and good quality crackers and cutlery. The food offer was well priced, traditional and very well prepared. It seemed to be no problem for the staff to alter a meal selection for one of our less-easy-to-please friends and the result was that we stayed all night and left only because the business was closing. I will happily concede that often it is the company that makes a night go well but on this occasion it was the venue, the service, the food, the drink and the staff that made a good night, great. I cannot give it a 10/10 because that would leave me nowhere to go when I have my expectations exceeded again but 8/10 is deserved. They left a reasonably old man, very happy, and some younger family members happier still. I would happily recommend this business to those who live locally or are just passing through but whichever you fall into, don't miss out on what you expect but rarely get these days. Well done White Lion, I will see you again soon!
GreybutGreat - 12 Feb 2012 19:02
We recently had our xmas party here. We got there quite early so it was pretty empty. We all put our coats and bags in a seating area, admittedly there were a lot of us, so we took up a large area. Later on when the pub got busier the landlord decided the bag and coat situation was a matter of life and death and threw them all on the floor. Bags and belongings went missing, but we weren't bothered because we knew it was such a huge inconvenience, so much so that he had to do it rather than have a word with us first.

Like I said there were a lot of us, one round came to over £200. I was given a G&T when I had actually asked for vodka and lemonade. This could've been the fault of the person buying the £200+ round, or the bar lady, I don't know, but when I asked if I could have a vodka and lemonade instead, she told me we would have to pay for that as well. Like we hadn't put enough money behind the bar. She also told me that I did ask for a G&T. I have never liked G&T, I hate it and would never ever order one, so was very annoyed that she was accusing me of this.

The only other time I've been to this pub was about 15 years ago and me and my friends got chanced down the road by some nutter throwing pint glasses at us. I won't be going back in a hurry.
Ricobran - 19 Dec 2011 15:10
Personally I am a true Sawbo-ite and find The White Lion to be top notch! The atmosphere is invigorating, the decor is warm & cosy, the food is amazing with a varied menu and I have always found the staff helpful. The pub has truly transformed over the past few years ( although we do miss the pool table)
Of all the pubs in Sawbridgeworth it is without doubt my favourite ( and there are quite a few)

beer_fairy - 18 Feb 2011 14:22
Transformed from quite an intimidating atmosphere with the previous landlord, to what is now an incredibly welcoming and dare I say it, sensible pub. Now the football isn't shown there you can go for a relaxing drink or a meal without having to shout across the table to be heard. oh, and the food is good quality and excellent value.
Mystery_Inc - 17 Feb 2011 22:07
The White Lion has been nicely refurbed in the last few years, but still has plenty of character. Log fires and nice furniture give it a 'homely' feel.

The staff are friendly, and there are a good selection of beers, (I've found a new one I liked). I haven't eaten there yet, but the menu looks good, and definitely appears to be popular. The acoustic Sundays are a great way to round off the weekend.
starrchild - 17 Feb 2011 20:17