The Castle Inn, West Lulworth - pub details

[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5] [image 6] [image 7] [image 8] [image 9]

Address: Main Road, West Lulworth, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5RN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 3317) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Website: http://www.thecastleinn-lulworthcove.co.uk/

Nearest train station Wool (4.3 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.3/10 (rated by 40 users)

Lulworth Cove Inn, West Lulworth (0.5 miles), Lulworth Beach Hotel, West Lulworth (0.5 miles)

user reviews of The Castle Inn, West Lulworth

Recently purchased and modernised/ruined by Butcomb. Used to be a characterful English pub with lots of nooks & crannies, but now feels soulless and corporate and all the guest beers have gone to be replaced by 3 dull Butcomb beers. Have been coming here for decades but will not be returning. Reminds me of what Hall & Woodhouse did to the Smugglers at O.Mills. I am so depressed - my visits to Dorset will never be the same.
baxterfish - 7 Oct 2018 16:36
Maybe this place has had a recent change in management? There were 3 or 4 ales from Butcombes on...all pale ales and all around 4%. No guest ales. The only draught cider was Butcombe's own. So quite a boring collection of drinks, even though the quality of each pint was reasonable.
Lots of shiny tiles behind the bar, staff wearing smart aprons and white shirts. Felt a bit corporate and soul-less. Didn't feel like a cozy rural pub. Still, it's OK if you're in the area and need a drink.

JonRambo - 16 Apr 2018 13:13
Mixed feelings about this pub.
On the plus side, it''s a lovely old bar inside. The beer and cider is cheap at roughly £4.20 per pint.

It has a cracking elevated grassy beer garden out the back with a nice view of the hills.

What lets it down is the rip off tourist prices for very average food.
9 quid for a jacket potato with cheese and beans is just not on.
I paid 13 quid for an ultra bland chicken curry, containing very little chicken.

My advice would be, drink plenty here, but eat elsewhere.
Pat_Bateman - 12 Sep 2017 16:04
I don''t normally post a review unless I like a pub, and i don''t usually even go back to a pub more than once if it doesn''t meet my needs, might be a selfish attitude but it''s my time and money.

I drove past this pub around 6-30 one morning whilst surveying the area around a possible new workplace, and was determined to give it a go, should I get the job, which I did. The area boasts a few pubs but nothing like this one. The fact that it claimed to be a ''cider'' pub appealed to me, and it has now proven (after several visits) to rightly claim that.

This is a ''tourist trap'' pub, but make no mistake it is worthy of being so. In my few visits I first thought there was an abundance of young staff members looking like they were doing nothing much., but it''s plain to see that once the pub gets busy they are needed and act accordingly.

It''s hard to spot the locals, due to the number of customers passing through, but my observations are that they support their pub, and I am hoping to stay a customer as long as I am in the area.

Oh, yeah, the food might seem a little overpriced, but you have to pay for the staff, the food is good, and the steak is above average.

Having dogs wandering in and around the pub doesn''t cause me a problem, as long as they never pinch my steak!

Keep up the good work, you have a pub to be proud of!

Cider_Al

the guy who drinks all your ''old rosie'' lol!
Cider_AL - 29 Aug 2017 19:48
I am told that the Castle has now been taken into the Palmers Brewery stable. People will have their own opinions on Palmers Ales and they generally have good reviews.

Palmers have a very poor record of having guest beers in their establishments and they have no history of keeping real ciders at all and so this 2014 CAMRA cider pub of the year may soon have no real ciders. It remains to be seen what happens.
Brownspot - 12 Sep 2016 11:17