The Red Lion, Biddenden - pub details

Address: 14 Hight Street, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27 8AH [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 32525) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train station Headcorn (3.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 4.4/10 (rated by 11 users)
> Local guide: Kent pub guide

Three Chimneys, Biddenden (1.5 miles)

user reviews of the Red Lion, Biddenden

I had used this pub a few times before with no problems but last Friday Bob, the landlord showed why he has such a bad reputation. I am a 68 year old retired business man out for a pub lunch with my sister and wife. Not exactly your typical trouble maker!
When we arrived I went to the bar but was asked to "bear with" him and he would see me asap. After 25 minutes in the pub during which time Bob served four local ladies with lunch, greeted a regular and served him, had a long conversation with another local man about how he had sweet talked a brewery rep into supplying a glass washer in exchange for "a drink on the side" he asked if we were ready to order lunch. I said that we'd prefer to have a drink first but he insisted that we order our food before ordering drinks. This is when I made my big mistake. I turned to my wife and joked "it's just as well this isn't a pub because you could die of thirst". Bob's reaction was immediate, he poked my shoulder and said "If that's the way you feel about it the best thing you can do is put your coat on and leave!" and refused to serve us.
He obviously needs help, firstly to greet his customers with a drink and secondly to address his attitude what he perceives as criticism.
Still it's making an interesting story with my friends. Being ejected from a pub for the first time at age 68!

riechip - 21 Mar 2012 18:06
An average village pub that does a good food trade as the meals there are all freshly prepared. The atmosphere is cozy and a good mixture of friendly locals drink in there. For how quaint and olde worlde the pub is it has a pretty average selection of beers which is a shame. Bob the landlord can be a funny old sort from time to time- he is one of those landlords who likes to know who everyone is and is far more tolerant of locals than random 'outsiders' - the reason for this I have concluded is he must be fairly near retirement age and has made his money so just wants things his own way and doesnt need to impress anyone to drum up trade which seems an odd way to be if you are in the hospitality trade. Also being the only pub in the village he knows no one can go anywhere else. Saying that he has always seemed friendly to me but then again I am local!! All in all an average pub that with a few tweaks could be an excellent pub
eagle23 - 12 Feb 2011 14:58
Enjoyed the beer, food was good and reasonably priced (great selection of dishes to choose from) and the staff were friendly. Nice open fire on a bitterly cold evening. Bob the landlord seemed very pleasant; he saw that we were new faces and stopped twice for a chat. We felt very welcome and will be going back – hope we don't experience any of the unpleasantness outlined in earlier comments!
pressforaction - 5 Dec 2010 06:03
Abandon all ye hope who enter here! that should be the legend over the door of this place.

If you don't hear it from the landlord himself that is..the clientele is probably quite indicative of the locals who drink there and haven't got anywhere else. We really couldn't imagine anyone coming out here for the priviliedge of this sort of banter..bit of a bad taste in the mouth for such a beautiful place.

brian_ales_in_uk - 7 Sep 2009 12:21
Dissapointing treatment by the landlord. The atmosphere is a bit hostile towards locals - who clearly don't have anywhere else to go. My partner and I came in with a few friends from Maidstone and had been on a lovely country walk and decided to pop in to have a drink. We got a pint but felt intimidated by the strange looks and particularly by the management who appear just as rude as those who drink there.

Its a beautiful area. Real shame about the people, who will put off any newcomers or strangers coming in. Really not reccomended unless you want to be eyeballed from not being from there. Could do with a complete rehaul or buyout by some friendlier folk!
brian_ales_in_uk - 7 Sep 2009 11:50