The Market, Chesterfield - pub details

Market

Address: 95 New Square, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S40 1AH [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 32457) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Chesterfield (0.5 miles), Dronfield (5.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.0/10 (rated by 21 users)

Welbeck Inn, Chesterfield (0.0 miles), Portland Hotel, Chesterfield (0.0 miles), Barley Mow, Chesterfield (0.1 miles), Barkers (Bomas Bar), Chesterfield (0.1 miles), Golden Fleece, Chesterfield (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Market, Chesterfield

Popular pub, but a bit pricey; on our visits I had Abbeydale 'Absolution', which was very nice, & Kelham Island 'Easy Rider' which was crisp/sharp and tasty. Bar staff were efficient.
alehippy - 22 May 2017 20:39
Very busy pub, showing that if you get things right, punters will come.

Great pub food - ordered off a worryingly large menu. Great quality and all fresh.

Decent selection of real ales - tried a very good Landlord and Copper Dragon.

Good balance between diners and drinkers.

Recommended.

Visit blogged at http://bit.ly/2kZxkq7
Mappiman - 20 Feb 2017 12:21
Very busy town centre pub. A lot of people eating what looked like substantial portions. Not all of the 8 real ales were on due to the numbers of customers. Having said that we had take our first choice back as it was just on the turn i.e. approaching the end of the cask. Without question it was changed for our second choice but the beer was continued to be served to other customers gradually getting more and more opaque until it was finally sludge and only then was the pumpclip turned round. This is an extremely bad practice, whether it be a one-off or in general as it could put a new customer to real ale off for life. The beer was one we normally like a lot, Leeds Pale and the replacement of Titanic Plum Porter was fine.
Steamer1 - 16 Aug 2016 12:10
Nice enough town centre pub, somewhat food-oriented but with a good selection of ales to choose from. My pint of 4% ABV blonde beer was pleasant enough if unremarkable: at £3.60 a pint it seemed pricey by Chesterfield standards but the place was buzzing and clearly popular. Pleasant enough, but I would not rush back, there are other pubs in the town which I prefer.
Stamfordian - 8 Feb 2016 00:45
My 4th pub of the afternoon and it’s the popular Market Tavern in as you guess the market area of the town!

There are 9 hand pumps which have 8 ales and 1 real cider on. I go for a pint of Welbeck Abbey’s Henrietta @ 3.6%, it’s a nice pint.

Several bar staff on and I receive a friendly welcome from all of them, always nice when you enter a pub and feel welcome.

There’s flagstone flooring throughout with a seating area for diners towards the rear of the pub. The food is extremely popular and there’s not a spare seat anywhere in this area. I take my pint and park myself opposite the bar and soak up the very friendly nature of this lovely looking pub.

The 4 pubs I have visited so far in Chesterfield have all been different but equally as good as each other and all with a good selection of well kept ales.

lezford - 18 Nov 2015 14:25