The Port n' Ale, Tipton [Closed] - pub details

Closed

Port n' Ale

Address: 178 Horseley Heath, Tipton, West Midlands, DY4 7DS [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 30153) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Dudley Port (0.5 miles), Tipton (1.2 miles), Sandwell & Dudley (1.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 4.7/10 (rated by 28 users)

Top Star, Tipton (0.0 miles), Lounge Bar, Tipton (0.2 miles), Horseley Tavern, Tipton (0.3 miles), Old Courthouse, Tipton (0.3 miles), Hallbridge Arms, Great Bridge (0.4 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Port n' Ale, Tipton

Now re-named the Top Star (which it used to be known as) and mainly a Chinese restaurant.
djw - 8 Mar 2014 13:03
Well I don't frequent any pub to just drink so I cannot comment on the beer or ale here but me and my wife and daughter found this pub on the way to stourport and were really surprised at the
Quallity of the Carvery and the variety of real fresh veg, But also the generous serving of a choice of 3 different meats and all perfectly cooked, Today (fathers day) Our son treated us to a meal and he is a soldier and he was amazed not only of the great carvery but the fact the price for 5 meals and drinks came to just £30--00 And on top of this we had great service from the chef and his wife , This is th 5th time we have been here and now we find this pub is much better food than many other pubs in I would say a 20 mile radius, So some of you may be more quallified on beer and ale than I am but just try their carvery one sunday. We had used the Malt Shovel in the past but for price and quallity and freindly staff why not give the Port n Ale a chance as it would be a shame to lose yet another pub

jonjo67 - 16 Jun 2013 14:59
Oh dear dear me.. What on earth has happened. This used to be a lovely pub, but now its a grotty hole far fetched from what it was when it first re-opened.

The place was a real ale lovers haven, decent beers, good food and great staff. NO LONGER.. Its just... well.. erm.. gone. I would be very surprised if it remains in the Good Beer Guide much longer, if it hasn't already been removed. The beers are to put it frankly, crap. Gone is the wide choice, two beers and to say they are mediocre would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions.

When John Denston took this place on he started well. The beers were the best in the area, better in fact than in his Bilston pub. Now being frank, I'd struggle to say anything nice about the place. Its quite frankly gone to the dogs, and I am afraid its been going this way for a while now.

Can John bring it back to its original glory, I very much doubt it. Its too far gone now. The management are ill trained, not knowledgeable about real ales and are just there to pick up a wage. No passion for the place, which is so far fetched from how it all started about 7 years ago.

As I said, used to be the best real ale pub in the area. No longer..
cannockchaser - 9 Jun 2013 23:39
My first time in years to visit this pub and my, how it's changed - and not for the better. Where once there was a smiling face behind the bar, now there was a scowl who seemed to consider it a privilege that I was being served. Where there used to be a range of well-kept real ales, there were two on. It was dark, dingy and didn't seem particularly clean. Small wonder that at 10.30 on a Thursday (not the quietest night anywhere) they had four customers when I arrived and two when I left some 15 minutes later.
djw - 6 Feb 2013 01:26
Not being funny Mags but it strikes me that the port n ale BITE page has become a place where you advertise your forthcoming events and promotions. Strictly speaking it's meant to be a pub review site so this kind of info is a little beyond its scope. As the Port now has a facebook page can I suggest you post this kind of stuff on there as it's more relevant and will also have a wider audience than the BITE regulars can provide. Cheers.
Kev_M - 13 Jul 2011 14:07