The Hero, Burnham Overy Staithe - pub details

Address: Wells Rd, Burnham Overy Staithe, King's Lynn, Norfolk, PE31 8JE [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 28746) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

> Current user rating: 6.2/10 (rated by 9 users)

Lord Nelson, Burnham Market (1.4 miles), Hoste Arms, Burnham Market (1.5 miles), Lord Nelson, Burnham Thorpe (2.0 miles)

user reviews of the Hero, Burnham Overy Staithe

New management - re-opened after closure for refurbishment. Dining area much extended: some accommodation over what used to be the adjoining art gallery. Bar area much the same as before. Called in briefly Saturday last for a (very good) glass of house white. Was intending to eat but - despite the time of year - the bar was very crowded and noisy (so it's obviously doing well!) and I suspected the (totally empty!) dining rooms would have been a touch pricey for the kind of lunch-time snack I was after. So I walked on to the ever reliable White Horse at Brancaster Staithe.

I must call again out of season, but on a week day when the bar ought to be less frenetic. Didn't get a chance to find out if the fish roe (or anything else) is still "pan fried"!

All in all it looks good and I wish it well.
Ditchcrawler - 8 Feb 2017 17:56
"Pan fried" - it still amuses me - roe back on. Delicious as ever.
Firedrake - 30 Jul 2012 10:17
Fell into The Hero after getting completely frozen and soaked on the 1.5 mile hike from the beach. It's true that the exterior is a little underwhelming but the interior is cool and elegant. The ubiquitous Wherry was fine and our food excellent. The young man who served us throughout was especially friendly and helpful. Suitably refreshed and thawed, we were able to make the last 6 miles to Brancaster.
kestrel - 27 Apr 2012 13:52
Pretty busy here on a Sunday lunchtime. A curious looking pub both inside and out, reminding me more of a fairly utilitarian tearoom rather than an establishment selling beer.

Only real ale was Woodforde's Wherry which, to be honest, I wasn't overstruck with. It took a long time to clear ( not just in the Hero) and at 3.8% I found it a bit insipid.

Food was excellent - large portions and reasonably priced. Staff were friendly and welcoming.

One moan - we ordered a pot of tea for two and were charged 5 ! Only a standard sized pot and cups. This can only be described as excessive.
ramblethenlunch - 20 Sep 2011 12:56
Lunch here on Bank Holiday Monday - not as busy as I'd anticipated. Two excellent pints of Wherry, but menu a little disappointing this time. No "pan fried" roe! (Baked Camembert okay though.)
Firedrake - 2 Sep 2010 09:58