The Raven, Bath - pub details

Raven

Address: 7 Queen Street, Bath, Somerset, BA1 1HE [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 25279) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Bath Spa (0.4 miles), Oldfield Park (0.9 miles), Freshford (4.2 miles)

General information: Storytelling - free, every 3rd Sunday 8pm

> Current user rating: 6.8/10 (rated by 124 users)

Salamander, Bath (0.0 miles), O'Neill's, Bath (0.0 miles), Garricks Head, Bath (0.1 miles), Sam Wellers, Bath (0.1 miles), Gascoyne Place, Bath (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Raven, Bath

The Raven is an excellent small pub with good selection of fine ales and - most importantly - scrumptious pies at a good price!

It was Sunday evening in Bath. A girl in a cafe had recommended a pub that served food. When we arrived at said pub, a man approached us on the street and asked us if we where looking to eat good pub food. We said we where looking for pies and gravy and he highly recommended The Raven - for this, I thank him deeply.

The Raven serves a selection of fantastic crusty pies with a choice of rich gravies, with either mash or chips for only £8.80 each. We both had a steak pie, with mash, one with Guiness and onion gravy and the other with thyme and red wine gravy.

Both pies where exceptionally good; densely packed with meat and vegetables. The gravies where distinctly different but both excellent and the mash was perfect - lumpy and bumpy, with a real earthy taste - yet still smooth and light.

The Raven had a wide selection of real ales, largers and ciders. They carry local beverages as well.

In terms of the atmosphere, the Raven hit the nail on the head. Dark, warm and friendly - with lots of places to sit and chat. The staff where friendly and helpful too.

If I'm ever in Bath again - I'll be sure to visit The Raven. Recommended.
booziechick - 6 Apr 2015 06:20
Popped in here for a pint during a visit to Bath, on the recommendation of a local. He wasn’t far wrong. Pleasant pint of Raven’s Gold, graciously served. I suggest you go upstairs where it’s lighter. Worth a revisit.
Mona_Growser - 9 Sep 2014 15:26
visited the raven just recently what a great little pub,made welcome by the
young barman who was polite and seemed well versed on the beers on offer.
think there was 6 pumps on the go,what I tried was good.allround good beers
that are well kept.
chrisb54 - 9 Sep 2013 14:07
2nd pub of the 8 and this just might be my favorite but otherwise it runs a very close 2nd to the Star.

Small bar with a great range of 7 ales, I had a light and a dark beer and both were exceptional.

Maybe the bar would be able to hold more people if there wasn't so many seats but at least it's nice to be able to sit and enjoy the pies they serve. I was in a party of 4 and was the only one that didn't eat, the other 3 all commented how good the food was.

Lovely wooden floors throughout and a special mention to the very friendly and also very tall barman.

There is an upstairs bar / dining room that also had 6 pumps of ale on, the same ones as downstairs but great for being separate.

A really good pub that is worth of it's place in the Good Beer Guide 2013.
lezford - 18 Feb 2013 13:29
Excellent choice on 6 (I think) handpumps, from golden to dark. Cosy homely feel only spoilt a bit by the pub bore who thought everyone wanted to hear what he had to say. Would return though. Didn't eat but watch for no food period in the afternoon.
Steamer1 - 3 Dec 2012 17:29