Ye Olde Cock Tavern, Fleet Street - pub details

Ye Olde Cock Tavern
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 22 Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 1AA [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 2516) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Temple (0.3 miles), Chancery Lane (0.4 miles), Blackfriars (0.4 miles)

Nearest train stations City Thameslink (0.3 miles), Blackfriars (0.4 miles), Farringdon (0.6 miles)

> Current user rating: 5.2/10 (rated by 44 users)
> Local guides: London pub guide, Central London pub guide

Old Bank of England, Fleet Street (0.0 miles), Serjeants, Fleet St (0.0 miles), Slug and Lettuce, Holborn (0.1 miles), Edgar Wallace, Temple (0.1 miles), Devereux, Temple (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Ye Olde Cock Tavern, Fleet Street

We were on holidays, on our final day in London and went in here for a final 'holiday over' pint. I was told by a very rude barmaid that the 50 pound note I had was 'too old' and that I'd need to go to the bank to change it (this being a Sunday). I told her I had just gotten it from an ATM two days previous and she said the bank shouldn't have given it to me. I advised her it was all we had, she said 'So you are saying these will have to come out of my wages?' I said no, I'm trying to pay you and she said 'fine I'll pay for them, now I'll have to ask you to leave'. She was incredibly rude and soured our last day. I later checked on the bank of England website and found that:
'All Bank of England notes from which legal tender status has been withdrawn remain payable at face value forever at the Bank of England in London. Any such notes may be presented for payment either in person during business hours, or sent to us by post.'
It may be policy within the pub not to accept these notes, but in light of the fact that they retain their value and are still being dispensed by ATM's, this woman was (very rudely) throwing away money.
I've worked in customer service for six years, I know how rude the public can be and it is because of people like this woman that the general public have such a bad opinion of shop assistants, many of whom work very hard and are totally unappreciated.
COH1985 - 10 Jun 2013 15:14
We found today's food service to be perfectly reasonable. The Redwillow Wreckless was new to me and tasted good (if a little hoppy for me but then I knew all along that it was a pale ale) but £4.04 per pint?! Still that wasn't as bad as £4.02 for a 330ml bottle of Aspall's cider! But with a lot of the nearby pubs shut on a Saturday lunchtime, maybe they have the tourist market to themselves.....
paul_d102 - 30 Mar 2013 21:58
OMFG! Or in the immortal words of the previous poster "oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!". What ever happened to good service these days? Staff moody and incompetent - we've been ignored most of the afternoon, and when we've hunted them down to be served, they have struggled to get the order right - told they don't do half pints of lemonade on our third round, after ordering just such for our previous two rounds. It's a shame that the female waitresses, whilst being of a more attractive and exotic appearance, don't seem to appreciate it that when punters make eye contact they are in fact wanting their attention because they wish to order food and drinks and not because it's simply feeding their vanity!

Full credit to the Hungarian barman. Lovely venue too. Yet the whiole experience was unfortunately marred by the dreadful service.

Just to add insult to injury the AV situation was appalling as the sound was out of sync with the video too.

On the plus side, one competent member of staff and the food was prompt but bland.
Skoob - 5 Jun 2012 18:04
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Went there last night as part of a function, works pub quiz. Took ten minutes to get served the first round. Their Kronenbourg was in a Fosters pump (so they claimed). Pissy, sharp warm house white. Oh well, nowhere is perfect. Second round took FIFTEEN minutes to get served (I timed it), this on a quietish Thursday night. The young barman appeared to be entirely unfamiliar with the bar. No large wine glasses left, so was served a small glass filled to the brim, to carry upstairs. Yeah, thanks for that. Prepaid food was brought round for the function; nasty onion rings, flat soggy chips, three pieces of garlic bread for a four person table. Details were awful. No salt in the shaker, our ketchup bottle was empty. "Can we have some ketchup please?" "We're fucking rushed off our feet, the lifts are broken, and I'd have to go down two floors and back up again to get it." That'll be a no then. No-one cleared a glass from any of our tables in two and a half hours - not one.

I hear in the glory days of Fleet Street this was a gossipy newspaper tavern as fine as the Cheshire Cheese or the Old Bell. To leave a pub short-staffed and badly run when there were two functions booked is just insulting. The other function was a party of American students, and I wonder what sort of time they had. If that was on their itinerary as 'a visit to a classic British pub', then the landlords should be prosecuted for embarrassing the nation.
dashwood - 24 Jun 2011 18:02
Was in here today from 16:30 to 20:30 as part of a large party in a room on the second floor. Although the room had a bar only the Guiness and a Lager was working. You had to go down two flights of stairs for Real Ale. Both the IPA and London Pride were good. Overall the pub is excellent over several floors and bu around 18:00 was packed with worekers and tourists alike. My only critisim is that they had our party (around 60) and another large party as well as walk ins, but they did not have enough staff to serve at the Bars and deliver Food to the tables. Increase the staff and this pub is worthy of a 10/10. Would definately go back.
Bitter_Man - 11 Mar 2011 22:08