The Eight Bells, Jevington - pub details

Eight Bells

Address: Jevington, Polegate, East Sussex, BN26 5QB [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 24244) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Polegate (2.4 miles), Hampden Park (3 miles), Eastbourne (3.6 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.4/10 (rated by 30 users)
> Local guide: East Sussex pub guide

Red Lion, Willingdon (1.6 miles), Wheatsheaf Inn, Willingdon (1.6 miles), British Queen, Lower Willingdon (1.7 miles), Seven Sisters, Eastbourne (1.8 miles)

user reviews of the Eight Bells, Jevington

Over 300 years old, a crackin' pub, that my brother and I visited having already walked nearly 10 miles, so were looking forward to a good pint, and that is what we got!
We sat outside in the large 'garden with a view' to enjoy the ale, which was the local brewer, Long Man's 3.8% Long Blonde, very refreshing and in excellent condition, and friendly service, cheers!
They also had Long Man Copper Hop (4.2%), another excellent ale, and Adnams Broadside, and the ubiquitous, for East Sussex, Harveys Sussex Best.
StevetheBeermeister - 13 Aug 2014 10:35
Poor Longman Blonde and the Harveys Best no better.
dogtrain - 10 Feb 2013 11:38
Harveys Bitter always seems to taste good here - maybe it's the long walk beforehand. Other than that this place seems to rely on it's location and maybe they think they don't have to try too hard. Food mediocre.
Floyd - 27 Aug 2012 13:46
Visited again one lunchtime this week with some friends. We had to wait over an hour for our food, although we were among the first to order. There was no explanation or apology for the delay and the food was pretty mediocre when it did arrive. It was also still expensive for what it was. The Harveys wasn't too bad. I don't particularly want to visit here again but probably will, as it is on a popular walking route. Will bring my lunch with me next time.
Sussexcrawler - 26 Jul 2012 21:46
I often visit this pub on walks and visited today with my wife and we were a little disappointed. There seemed to be a bit of a problem with the Harveys, which took ages to pull and was gassy. It tasted OK but nothing special. The food seems expensive for what it is. The main criticism was the cleanliness, particularly the ladies toilet which according to my wife was shabby. She said there was a bowl of dusty pot pourri on a shelf and the rubbish bin in the ladies was a battered old wicker basket lined with a carrier bag - she thought the profit they made on her baguette would at least fund a new bin. I also noticed an accumulation of dust and other muck on the shelf that houses the coffee cups. On the plus side, the staff were efficient and friendly. Due to its location on a main walking route we will inevitably visit again. Hopefully things will have improved by then.
Sussexcrawler - 8 Aug 2011 19:48