The White Horse, Burnham Green - pub details

White Horse

Address: 1 Whitehorse La, Welwyn, Hertfordshire, AL6 0HA [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 22398) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Welwyn North (1.1 miles), Knebworth (2.6 miles), Welwyn Garden City (2.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.0/10 (rated by 17 users)
> Local guide: Hertfordshire pub guide

Horns, Datchworth (0.7 miles), Plume Of Feathers, Tewin (0.9 miles), Rose and Crown, Tewin (1.1 miles), Tilbury, Datchworth (1.1 miles), Plough, Datchworth (1.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the White Horse, Burnham Green

Against my better judgement (which shows my open mindedness!) I revisited the pub a couple of weeks ago. It's now worse. We were the only two drinkers in the pub despite it being "drinking time". The barman didn't know how to pull a pint (I had to ask for it to be topped up) and one of the beers immediately went off. Another member of staff went down to the cellar to "change the barrel". He returned, reversed the beer clip and walked off without a word. I had to therefore order a different beer.

The regular drinkers have all disappeared. It's still an Islington wine bar - but colder. That was definitely my last visit
Tewin - 30 Dec 2012 20:16
Disagree with some of the previous comments - the staff here are really friendly and spending a lot of time in islington I can assure you it does not look like an 'Islington Wine Bar'... I agree the place is trying to be more than it actually is - but it is comfortable and friendly. Appears to be 'open fire capable' in the winter. I've been coming here with friends for years and the decor certainly doesn't put me off. I wouldn't eat there - but I base that on the ambience created by the generic eaters they get in. I'd pop in for a pint anytime!
adgi - 3 Nov 2011 18:54
I think the makeover of this pub has been dreadful. I wrote to McMullens and said so but of course I received no reply. It is indeed an Islington wine bar wrapped in a traditional country pub. When I see a country pub I have expectations when I go in. They are sadly dashed here. The bar staff wear the customary London black clothes (where has this fashion come from?) and while they are young and friendly they really belong in a wine bar. The food is expensive. Small children are allowed to run riot in the pub and there is no attempt to control them. One Sunday afternoon I thought I was in a creche!

I won't be rushing back.
Tewin - 23 Mar 2011 07:35
Took the opportunity to utilise this place for a mid way stop when doing a circular walk in the area. I can see the point of some of the previous comments. Looked like any standard traditional village pub as we approached across the Green, but then closer resembles an Islington Gastro pub inside. However, for me, this is one of the better all wood McMullen makeovers Iíve been in. The multi split level (with the main dining area below the bar ) works well and the two spacious drinking areas either side of the central bar are pleasant enough with all the light wood beans and comfy seating.
Usual range of McMullen Cask Ales and couldnít fault the couple we tried. Yes I guess the beer and food are pricey for a Hertfordshire Village and were more in keeping with an establishment in N1.
However they had a lunchtime soup and sandwich deal for a fiver and couldnít fault that for quality.
So in conclusion, a smart , food orientated pub which we found perfectly fine. Not sure Iíd choose to use it as a local if I lived in the village, but a good one for a drive out from North London.

Gann - 31 Jan 2010 22:36
This pub has a nice garden for a summer visit, but thinks far too much of itself. The food is extravagently described and thus is always disappointing when it arrives. It is also seriously over priced. It is very popular on sunny days because of the pretty views from the back garden. I would not recommend it for food though.
suelovell - 6 Dec 2009 14:37