The Man of Kent Ale House, Rochester - pub details

Man of Kent Ale House
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 6-8 John Street, Rochester, Kent, ME1 1YN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 20662) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Rochester (0.3 miles), Chatham (0.7 miles), Strood (0.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.9/10 (rated by 76 users)

What the Dick Inns, Rochester (0.1 miles), Granville Arms, Rochester (0.1 miles), Good Intent, Rochester (0.1 miles), Rising Sun, Rochester (0.1 miles), Morden Arms, Rochester (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Man of Kent Ale House, Rochester

Odd then how you manage to equate my description to a particular dog in question. Am not totally averse to dogs in pubs but any creature from dog to mongoose to refugee from the Jeremy Kyle show that sits next to you in a pub licking it's bollocks is going to be a bit off putting to anyone. Anyhow - even if it was the same dog it could well have been moulting or diseased in the Summer and have recouperated by the time of your visit. I described it as I saw it.
Snarling_Mallard - 6 Jan 2016 16:17
I disagree, the dog isn't moulting and he is lovely. He doesn't deserve that review, obviously you aren't a dog lover. The pub was lovely and the staff and owner were very friendly and helpful. I wanted a dry cider and they got me one which was excellent. They serve a good range of beers and ciders. We have been here a few times in the past and it didn't fail to please us again. The locals are very friendly too. Best pub in Rochester.
madmaz1 - 29 Dec 2015 13:23
I found it more okay on this visit rather than exceptional. Had to share seating space with a mangy looking mutt shedding fur (or was it a pot bellied pig - difficult to be sure from some angles). Some seem to think there is a blurred distinction between character and hygiene - character is more' old faithful dog in basket by the fire', unhygienic is 'diseased looking pooch licking it's privates on seating used by the punters'.
Snarling_Mallard - 19 Aug 2015 19:43
Oh dear! I'd not visited the Man of Kent for some years so looked forward to returning at last. A superb array of handpumps serving Kentish beers and my pint of Gadds IPA was fine. It certainly seemed to have been brightened up since my last visit as we discovered an outdoor decking area. Never mind the grubby seats which could all do with a scrub or replacing, and then we noticed a dog turd, then a second, then another. Five dog turds - the landlord's dog or a customers - were dotted around the edges of the deck. We found this disgusting and they had clearly been there for some days. My mate now refuses to return. Reading previous reports, there are clearly some issues with this pub which need addressing. A shame as it's got so much potential. 5/10 unfortunately.
Paul_Rochdale - 24 Apr 2015 09:05
I was relieved to find that the Pawley Farm cider is back on sale - it had disappeared on the previous time I called in. With the real cider back this pub is as good as ever. The helpful landlady retrieved a bottle of my favourite, the dry, from the cellar.
jgurney1 - 8 Mar 2015 11:35