The Man of Kent Ale House, Rochester - pub details

Man of Kent Ale House
[image 2] [image 3]

Address: 6-8 John Street, Rochester, Kent, ME1 1YN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 20662) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Rochester (0.3 miles), Chatham (0.7 miles), Strood (0.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.9/10 (rated by 75 users)
> Local guide: Kent pub guide

What the Dick Inns, Rochester (0.1 miles), Granville Arms, Rochester (0.1 miles), Good Intent, Rochester (0.1 miles), Rising Sun, Rochester (0.1 miles), Morden Arms, Rochester (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Man of Kent Ale House, Rochester

I found it more okay on this visit rather than exceptional. Had to share seating space with a mangy looking mutt shedding fur (or was it a pot bellied pig - difficult to be sure from some angles). Some seem to think there is a blurred distinction between character and hygiene - character is more' old faithful dog in basket by the fire', unhygienic is 'diseased looking pooch licking it's privates on seating used by the punters'.
Snarling_Mallard - 19 Aug 2015 19:43
Oh dear! I'd not visited the Man of Kent for some years so looked forward to returning at last. A superb array of handpumps serving Kentish beers and my pint of Gadds IPA was fine. It certainly seemed to have been brightened up since my last visit as we discovered an outdoor decking area. Never mind the grubby seats which could all do with a scrub or replacing, and then we noticed a dog turd, then a second, then another. Five dog turds - the landlord's dog or a customers - were dotted around the edges of the deck. We found this disgusting and they had clearly been there for some days. My mate now refuses to return. Reading previous reports, there are clearly some issues with this pub which need addressing. A shame as it's got so much potential. 5/10 unfortunately.
Paul_Rochdale - 24 Apr 2015 09:05
I was relieved to find that the Pawley Farm cider is back on sale - it had disappeared on the previous time I called in. With the real cider back this pub is as good as ever. The helpful landlady retrieved a bottle of my favourite, the dry, from the cellar.
jgurney1 - 8 Mar 2015 11:35
Only narcissistic, cliquey masochists need apply...

One of Rochester's saddest losses. What used to be a friendly, welcoming and excellent pub has now become a clinical pit of desperately disparate hipsterism and pretence which leaves a sour taste. This will only worsen in time with the rise in soulless accommodation springing up all around it.

Despite the variety of beverages and live music, the atmosphere can only be paralleled with that of the Third Reich. Embodied by the landlady, a sour air of vindictive pomposity now seeps into every facet of what used to be a fine establishment. I know of nowhere else which will serve you a stupidly potent array of drinks and then proceed to squish any of the potential sociability or joviality out of its patrons with its condescendingly hard-line attitude. It's a paradoxical, self defeating farce.

If you really enjoy paying to be frowned upon by a contemptibly elitist matriarch, whilst cramped in a confused coop of a bar, by all means take your chance. I for one shall be taking my custom elsewhere, like the humble yet excellent Good Intent just around the corner or indeed any of the numerous and fantastic establishments we are lucky to have on our doorsteps in Rochester.
Fulcrum87 - 13 Jun 2014 14:07
Short visit - but impressed by the beer, general ambiance, and overall authenticity of the place.
Run by a group of keen and hardworking staff who are enthusiastic about the beer, and a groovy choice of music plays in the background (can anyone say groovy anymore?).
Next time I'll stay much longer.
Jezlowprice - 23 Feb 2014 20:10