The Silver Fox, Hertford Heath - pub details

Address: 16-18, London Rd, Hertford Heath, Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG13 7RH [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 15792) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Hertford East (1.8 miles), Ware (2.1 miles), St Margarets - Herts (2.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 3.1/10 (rated by 11 users)

College Arms, Hertford Heath (0.2 miles), Townsend Arms, Hertford (0.3 miles), Saracen's, Hertford (1.5 miles), Great Eastern Tavern, Hertford (1.5 miles), George IV, Great Amwell (1.6 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Silver Fox, Hertford Heath

Visited a few times the last couple of years, certainly not because of the beer, but purely of locality and it is normally quiet Saturday lunchtimes.
Normally there are three regular beers from Greedy King at the bar and the occasional guest. But last week I was told the GK beers were to be reduced and replaced by more guest ales.
Good on you Landlady. Well done to think of us drinkers. I will becoming here more often from now on.
A week later and here I am, standing at the bar and eager to see what the five handpumps have to offer.

The first pump had a clip on it with; "Try before you buy". Good start I thought......thinking of us drinkers again. Alas, not a good start. No beer on the pump - just the clip.
The second pump also had a clip on it; "Try one of our salads" it read. What's going on here.
Pump three and four...wait for it.....no clips - and no beer.
Hooray, pump five has beer. Sod it, bloody GK I.P.A.
What an utter shambles. One week of guest ales and bugger-all left at the weekend.

I think I have learnt my lesson now.
fugglehops - 7 Sep 2013 22:24
Good grief, this pub beggars belief.
jessionlocation - 6 Aug 2011 13:55
After about ten or so visits to the Fox I think I'll look elsewhere for a Saturday lunch time meal. I always struggle to find anything that I like on the bar menu. I didn't fancy chips so I chose the sausage an' mash in onion gravy. While that was cooking I checked out the ales.
I'm not sure if I am unlucky, but it's the same old story, time and time again. You have a choice of......wait for it. Yes, you've guessed, GK IPA, Abbot and Speckled shite, er sorry, Hen. Not to worry though, there is another pump reserved for the guest beer. The pump clip tells me that it's not one I have tried before. "Barman, I'll have a pint of that, please." "Sorry sir, it ran out last night. The locals loved it" Well lucky them, thanks pal. Every time this happens. Why couldn't he put on another barrel that Saturday morning?
Before I could take a sip of my Green speckled abbot my food arrived. Very quick service I thought - I'm impressed.
Two nice-looking bangers, mash, veg' and gravy. Hang on, where's the onion? Oh there it is......under that pea. No wonder it arrived quickly - couldn't wait for the onions to cook. Don't bother complaining though. When it comes to paying the bill all the response you get is: "I'll have a word with chef." Well chef can stick his onion gravy up his speckled hen!!!
Is there anyone out there who knows of a pub in the Herts area that does good food and serving guest ales - not GK or MuckMullen's, please?
fugglehops - 19 Jun 2009 22:09
used to be one of my favourite pubs in hertford heath, all changed on my last visit with a group of friends. ordered drinks and food it wasnt till everyone finished the main course that we all noticed the communal vegtables in the middle of the table had a caterpillar and a half on the edge of the plate, we felt a bit icky after that, the waitress noticed it and she came back with appoligies from the chief.

the only compensation we got was a foxes mint afterwards with the bill(guess that was to take the flavour away!), i cant believe they still charged full price for the meal!
rhysdude - 15 Apr 2008 18:31
Hey,it`s not all that bad!Mind you,I have never eaten there,but for a pint in pleasant surroundings it`s OK.Have not been to one of their "tribute"nights.
Beer is ok.Usual choices,IPA,Abbot,Speckled Hen plus a guest which changes every few weeks or so.Just stick with the crisps!
captainblah - 8 Aug 2007 18:41