William Walker, Winchester - pub details

William Walker
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4]

Address: 34 The Square, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 9EX [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 15706) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Winchester (0.4 miles), Shawford (2.9 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.2/10 (rated by 33 users)
> Local guide: Hampshire pub guide

Eclipse Inn, Winchester (0.0 miles), Slug and Lettuce, Winchester (0.0 miles), Old Vine, Winchester (0.0 miles), Royal Oak, Winchester (0.1 miles), Original Porthouse, Winchester (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of William Walker, Winchester

The place seems to have improved recently since Fullers made it their third pub in the city.
Went in last week and found Black Cab Stout on tap which sort of made our day as the stuff has proved elusive so far, well worth seeking out and was also found in the Wykeham later in the day.
Friendly prompt service from the young girls behind the bar, and the place was more than half full too at mid afternoon too which is hopefully a sign of a return to the better days of this pub...given its location it should be busy all day?
Steve_Smythe - 3 Jan 2013 23:47
My experience is somewhat different to Bernie5 and wolvsfan. I visited this pub last Tuesday whilst on a Pub Crawl of Winchester. Several Real Ales were available including George Gale- Seafarers, London Pride and George Gale Spring Sprinter. I plumped fro the London Pride which was very good Although the place was quiet as it was mid afternoon I was served promptly and politely. The pub has been updated internally at some time but still retains some olde world Charm. Background music at an acceptable level. Would I return - Not Sure
Bitter_Man - 26 Apr 2012 16:15
Agree with wolvesfan, bar staff are poor although the beer is usually ok and the food always looks good, although never tried it. The place could be heaving with locals AND tourists if they bucked their ideas up by 50% minimum. Landlord - get a grip and pull it together for its maximum potential.
Bernie5 - 20 Apr 2012 16:48
This place is a leaderless disaster. But it's got 'oodles' of potential. the staff have not been in the least trained. The bar is a mess and ordering is a nightmare. This really could be a little gem. Time for the landlord/licensee to move on. 3/10
wolvesfan - 12 Dec 2010 16:17
Took some Swedish friends to this pub last Saturday. Staff (vacant 18 year olds) were busy doing blatantly ignoring us. We waited what seemed like a long while at the bar while two staff went on about their business. In a complete absence of "I will be with you shortly" or "sorry to keep you waiting" finally one of them decided to take my order. I was mid-sentence when a third girl (vacant 19 year old 'managing' place) appeared and spoke to the one about to take my order, this caused her to leave without a word. I was left talking to myself. 'Manager' barely looked at us, just raised her hand so as to signal "wait". I complained and she said she had to send her stuff to lunch.
Shocking service. No wonder this pub is empty!
nostromogirl - 10 Nov 2010 12:14