The Market Tavern, Preston - pub details

Address: 33-35, Market St, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 2ES [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 15385) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Preston (0.4 miles), Lostock Hall (2.9 miles), Bamber Bridge (3.1 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.0/10 (rated by 25 users)

Stanley Arms, Preston (0.0 miles), Grey Friar, Preston (0.1 miles), Black Horse Hotel, Preston (0.1 miles), Black-a-Moor Head, Preston (0.1 miles), Sun Hotel, Preston (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Market Tavern, Preston

Straight after football at Deepdale I made the 15 minute brisk walk to the Market Tavern.

Through the market and this attractive pub is in front of me, I get here at 2.15pm and the pub looks good from the outside, this is until I see the signs on the doors that say 'Under new management'! This is always off putting and so it proved on this occasion.

A lovely tiled floor leads onto a wooden floor, there’s an original tiled fire place, original mirrors, marble top bar however the leather seating is ripped and the tables are very worn, this isn't good.

3 ales on which are Robinsons Dizzy Blonde, St Austell Tribute and my choice which is Theakstons Old Peculiar. Its a decently kept and poured pint.

Lots of old photos on the walls, a few locals in, pop music playing on the jukebox, the Market is pleasant and the pint I had was decent but it's not the pub I was expecting and I will be surprised if this makes the 2016 GBG.

It's been ticked
lezford - 2 Sep 2015 17:06
This pub used to be a little gem in Preston but over the last couple of years it has gone down hill rapidly. Yes it has Erdinger on draft and a great selection of bottled beers to choose from. The cask ale choice has gone down it used to have a wide selection to pick from now it seems to have 2 generic ales that I can get from any local bar and maybe 1 that is of decent standard. I am led to believe the pub has changed hands in the last couple of years and talking to the lady behind the bar who has been there as long as the pub itself it seems Its the former landladys daughter who has took over the running of this pub and The Stanley Arms in the words of the Lady behind the bar she never works behind the bar unlike her mother used to. Another thing to note the only time I noticed her smile was when what seemed to be a regular brought her in some food which she ate behind the bar. The place still has the local charm but unfortunately when i visited there was no one in apart from a couple of people. Such a shame as like I said at the start this USED to be a Gem of a pub
caskdrinkernwest - 21 Apr 2015 08:50
First time I went here there was a sign outside saying “a selection of real ales available including Fosters, John Smiths, Tiger & Kronenbourg” !! I think that just about sums this place up. On that occasion there was only actually one proper real ale available (I walked out), but last time there were three. None of them were in the least bit exciting – I had Belhaven Grand Slam, and I normally avoid rugby related beers like the plague.

The overriding impression I got was of the rather loud music which varied between techno-crap and 10CC (Dreadlock Holiday). There were also some quite interesting genuinely old prints on the walls. Large screen TV was showing the racing, and someone getting overexcited about the result – then I realised it was one of the bar staff !!

Martinsh - 18 Mar 2015 22:57
I used to love this place, and have had it on my city centre real ale crawl for around a decade since moving to Preston. The beer is good (cask, bottled selection and Erdinger wheat beer on draft, lovely!), the location excellent, as is the internal feel of the pub. The problem? The woman who is normally behind the bar who has been there as a long as I can remember has got progressively more miserable as the years have gone by. What is worse if you are not one of the daily regulars don't expect to get served any time soon as she will deliberate ignore you for as long as possible. So if she is behind the bar my advice is to just walk past and go to the far more welcoming and friendly Black Horse around the corner!
delacroix - 2 May 2014 13:18
A well worn town centre pub with a few reasonable ales on.
Snarling_Mallard - 29 Apr 2013 22:35